We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling across the US in an RV

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling across the US in an RV

My husband and I are considering renting a motor home and traveling across country with our 3 kids(13,10,8). We only have 2 weeks so I would appreciate any and all input, ideas and suggested Itineraries.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

Hi and welcome to the forum.

For us to provide helpful guidance, it would be nice to know:

- What time of year you plan on making the trip?

- When you say "Travelling across the US" do you mean you want to do that trip from New Jersey to the west coast? Would it be a drive one-way, fly back trip?

- What are your interests? Mountains? Beaches? History? Nature?

- Do you have any experience in an RV?

Two weeks is an extremely short period for a meaningful trip ONE WAY trip from coast-to-coast. You'll spend most of your time driving, and little time sightseeing. If you're thinking of driving there and back in two weeks, it's not worth the effort/expense in my opinion.

RVs come with a bit of work. You have to perform housekeeping chores on the inside; convert beds from night to day use; and every time you move the RV from your campsite, you have to disconnect all of the services (electricity, water, and sewer).

If you are planning a one-way trip, you may want to check with the RV rental agency to see if they A) allow one-way rentals and, B) how much a one-way drop off fee will be.

Please provide us more insight so we can better help you. Thanks.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

Everybody's different, but I'd not want to drive essentially from coast to coast in an RV, and have only 2 weeks to do it it. Most rental RVs are pretty slow and noisy, so it wouldn't make for a particular nice experience, and to make the mileage, you'd be driving all day every day, pretty much, not leaving much time for sightseeing and for the kids to stretch their legs. You know your kids, must most of that age won't enjoy being cooped up for that long a drive each and every day.

Also, as most RVs only allow you a very small amount of free miles, the huge mileage and the gas to get that distance will make it a pretty expensive trip, and then there's probably a one way drop off charge, and all the bedding rental costs. It all adds up to an expensive as well as not necessarily enjoyable trip, as I see it.

SWT

Edited: January 07, 2013, 1:09 am
Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

We are going the last week of july and 1st week of august. Was thinking of Arizona, Grand Canyon with select stops along the way. The trip is more for the experience of being together and not so much to see as much as possible. I think perhaps driving one way and flying back may be a good option. So with that in mind I am SO looking forward to your suggestions and possible itineraries.

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

Oops, forgot to add...no experience renting an RV as an adult and yes leaving from NJ.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

Hi.

I'd suggest you forget the cross country, fly to the southwest, rent an RV by all means and do a smaller tighter one way or loop, to give you time to enjoy seeing things together rather than lots of asphalt and concrete.

Thats's 2800 miles one way near enough LA so 300 miles a day max ( 40mph average touring pace 8 hours a day) means it would take about 10 days just to drive it. So you have 3 or 4 days left for staying put anywhere. If you want to concentrate on the SW, then it just puts more pressure on the start.

Edited: January 07, 2013, 2:02 am
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

FLY from NJ to Las Vegas .Rent there. Drive a ntl. Parks loop with a Vegas return...There are several discussions of this tour here... Then,go on with your lives...carracar

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

Hi smah1867, I've been RVing for a lot of years.

First, click on this blue link to read a short article about renting an RV. It will help you determine if a motorhome is right for your family vacation:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187230/Califo…

From your home town to Grand Canyon, it's 2,400 miles. Driving 300 miles a day will take about 6-7 hours each day, so you would get there in 8 full days of nonstop driving. That's on the interstate system, not taking pleasant country roads, with almost no time to "see" much other than the road.

You cannot drive motorhomes at the same pace you drive a car, you must go more slowly. They get tiring after a few hours. You have to pay more attention when driving. They get buffeted by wind and by trucks roaring past. We normally drive no more than about 200-250 miles a day, and that is only when we are going point-to-point.

So, if you're still interested, you'd have 5-6 days in AZ. Las Vegas is the logical place to end your trip, to turn in the RV. You'd be able to see Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, maybe Page. It won't be a relaxing time, but you can see some of the area in less than a week.

Please check out the one-way extra fees, plus the extra mileage fees to get a good cost estimate. As stated in that article I linked to above, figure no more than 8-10 miles per gallon. Add in camping fees as well. Renting RVs is not cheap!

Edited: January 07, 2013, 10:01 am
Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

Thanks! Completely altered our trip based on the great suggestions from all trip advisor comments. TRULY appreciated. Keep posting! :)

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

So tell us what you're thinking of doing now? Tell us where you are heading, any new dates or duration changes, so we can make suggested based on the current plan?

SWT

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling across the US in an RV

Edit: I see you've started a new topic, with the new, more appropriate title.

I will comment there,

SWT