We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Dallas Road Trip This Summer in 4 Days - Help!

1 post
Seattle to Dallas Road Trip This Summer in 4 Days - Help!

Hello, we are moving our daughter from Seattle to Dallas this summer - there are three of us (my wife and I and our daughter) and we will be driving her car. We have four days to get her there. I am looking for some advice on the best route and how to break it up into four days. It would be great to have some variety of scenery, but with four days we have limited time to sightsee.

Any road wisdom would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
47,310 posts
559 reviews
180 helpful votes
1. Re: Seattle to Dallas Road Trip This Summer in 4 Days - Help!

Have driven parts of route but no expert like I am for southern US.

Route

Boise

Provo/Moab

Albuquerque

Amarillo

Other route is on I 80 and then south but I 80 is known for high winds and changing weather even in summer. You also would go thru a very heavily traveled metro area of Denver.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
156,708 posts
8,714 reviews
4,256 helpful votes
2. Re: Seattle to Dallas Road Trip This Summer in 4 Days - Help!

Boise

Rock Springs

Denver

Amarilllo

Denver

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
10,365 posts
15 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: Seattle to Dallas Road Trip This Summer in 4 Days - Help!

That's going to be four very long days of about 10 hours behind the wheel each day, as you know.

Day 1: Seattle WA to Burley ID via I-90 east, I-82 east, I-84 east. Change clocks forward an hour entering Malheur County, Oregon. 652 miles, 10h Google Maps time, 12-13 total. States passed through: Washington, Oregon, Idaho. Longest day but you'll be freshest.

Day 2: Burley ID to Farmington NM via I-84 east, I-15 south, US-6 east, US-191 south, I-70 east, US-191 south, US-491 south, US-64 east. 599 miles, 9h30 Google Maps time, 11h30-12h30 real time, no clock change. States passed through: Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Navajo Nation, New Mexico. You'll go past Arches National Park and Mesa Verde National Park.

Day 3: Farmington NM to Amarillo TX via US-550 south, I-25 south, I-40 east. Change clocks forward an hour entering Texas. 467 miles, 7h Google Maps time, 9h real time. States passed through: Navajo Nation, New Mexico, Texas. You have time to go north on I-25 to Santa Fe and then take US-285 south or US-84 south back to I-40 east. Santa Fe is pretty and worth a look-see.

Day 4: Amarillo TX to Dallas TX via US-287 south and local roads in the DFW Metroplex depending on definition. No clock change. About 375 miles, about 6h Google Maps time, 7h-7h30 real time. Gets you there in time to unload in the daylight.

Reply to: Seattle to Dallas Road Trip This Summer in 4 Days - Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.