We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan to Arkansas

Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 post
Michigan to Arkansas

Hello! I will be driving from SW Michigan (Kalamazoo, MI) to Fayette Arkansas in August and have a couple questions.

Will I need to drive through mountains or across any large bridges?

What would be the best, not TOO busy route? I'm going skiing so won't have a co-pilot. I don't LOVE driving in traffic that's too busy, but will.

I appreciate all and any advice. Then you!!!

7 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
1,833 reviews
640 helpful votes
1. Re: Michigan to Arkansas

Hi,

You could take I-55, I-44 and I-49 to Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
77 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Michigan to Arkansas

We both assume you mean Fayetteville Arkansas? (Fayette Michigan is a historic town state park in the UP).

No mountains, think more rolling hills, and you do have to cross the Mississippi so there will be a bridge (but nothing like the Mackinac Bridge).

You are looking at 12 plus hours which is a very long day.

Also Google Maps will often route you over towards Chicago, so you'll have traffic ... and also through St Louis too ... so depending on when you are in those areas you may or may not have significant rush hour traffic.

Play with Google Maps on your smartphone and or on your computer.

And you say you're going skiing?? Not quite understanding that since there's no snow skiing in Arkansas ... and I can't imagine you're going water skiing, but...

Edited: April 21, 2024, 2:27 am
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
17,872 posts
68 reviews
92 helpful votes
3. Re: Michigan to Arkansas

In August I hope it's water skiing.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,042 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Michigan to Arkansas

You kind of have to go I-44 in Missouri because a southern path takes you thru the ozark mountains.

You need to cross the Mississippi which means going over a long bridge.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
10,365 posts
15 reviews
70 helpful votes
5. Re: Michigan to Arkansas

There are no steep mountain roads or switchbacks or drop-offs on the main route, which is I-55 to St. Louis, then I-44 to Joplin, then I-49 south to Fayetteville. Interstate highways are not allowed to have switchbacks and while some of them in the West have very steep inclines, that's in the Rocky Mountains and west, not in southwest Missouri.

You will have to cross the Mississippi River on I-55/I-64, but it's only about 1500 feet long, you'll cross it in about thirty seconds, and you'll be so busy looking at the Gateway Arch over to your right you probably won't even notice the bridge.

You can use Google Street View to see what the bridge looks like.

Edited: April 21, 2024, 10:53 am
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
17,872 posts
68 reviews
92 helpful votes
6. Re: Michigan to Arkansas

I never take 55 through downtown ST Louis. I take the I-255 south bypass on the Illinois side of the river and connect with I-44 west after crossing the river south of St Louis.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
10,365 posts
15 reviews
70 helpful votes
7. Re: Michigan to Arkansas

I thought of that too, przyk, but the bridge is a little more daunting.

Reply to: Michigan to Arkansas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.