I/we want to do a huge RT across the US and take in as many states as we can. "We" are two retired couples (in our 50s) and planning this for either late 2023 but more likely late 2024. US road trip will likely be a one off, as we have other plans, so thinking of going large!
Time we take will depend on visa, as likely to be more than the 90 days - plan in my head is Fly from London to NYC, drive the top states, do PCH, and then LA to Chicago R66, but branching off to do Grand Canyon, and the southern states.
A few Qs if I may:
- Trying to plan routes - but Google Maps only allows ten stops. What is a good site/app to really nail the map/route? Preferably for free but not too bothered if it costs.
- if I was to fly from LA to Tahiti for instance, and return, would that mean my 90 days would start again?
- If I wanted a big US SUV V8 (Escalade, Yukon. Wagoneer), how easy are these to hire for considerable time?
- Noting this will likely take in Thanksgiving, for some reason I quite fancy being in Chicago, but I cannot explain why. Am I mad?
- Is it easy to take the hire car into Canada?
- I am reckoning a maximum of 300 - 350 miles a day, but often less, with a number of two night stops (or more) at major places.
- Bucket lists within the bucket list include the biggest bridges, and routes like Independence Pass and Pikes Peak. Am I right in thinking I need to do these two before November (when I think they will close for the winter?).
Thanks in advance.