We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on luggage trackers? LugLoc?

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Thoughts on luggage trackers? LugLoc?

I am wondering if anyone has tried the location tracking device "LugLoc." You stick it in your luggage and it uses GSM towers to triangulate its location. There is another device called "Trakdot." I found one post from 2 years ago. Trakdot takes a slightly different approach but similar idea.

I understand that the best this could do would be able to tell me if the bag is in the airport I am at or... at some other airport... or somewhere else. It won't pinpoint the exact location down to a few meters.

Anyone used a luggage tracker? Or thoughts on the idea?

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,741 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Thoughts on luggage trackers? LugLoc?

I love Post #4 here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7581729-…

Cheers,

Terry

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Thoughts on luggage trackers? LugLoc?

LOL... I like post #3.

Thanks for finding that. All good advice.

(BTW - I searched "Lugloc" and "Trakdot" ... didn't think to search "trackers")

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,096 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Thoughts on luggage trackers? LugLoc?

3 was funny while 4 was informative.

FYI: I have a Trackdot; bought it on a lark same time a buddy did so. It works. Both he and I could tell when each others' bags arrived and could find it on a carousel or if the bag wasn't that far from me.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Thoughts on luggage trackers? LugLoc?

Back from China. One of the couples experienced lost luggage.

Ok... I originally posted this luggage tracker question in the China area but they referred me to this area. Then the discussion continued over there. I just followed up over there to round out that thread and I thought I should say something here too since it was my OP. Hope I'm not breaking a TripAdvisor rule. :)

The nerd/geek in me drove me to buy a couple Trakdots. They worked as advertised in terms of notifying me my luggage arrived at each airport. I got a text message and email each time. Unfortunately, a glitch in the Android app after an update killed the Bluetooth function. It did work prior to the update so they just need to figure out the glitch.

It notified me in Burbank, LAX, Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, back to Beijing, LAX and then Burbank Worked every time.

Basically, if my bags didn't show up, the Trakdot would have let me know which airport my bags were last located at. It's a little better than no information. I also followed the advice of post #4 in that other thread referred to above (putting my itinerary in the bag, etc.). In the event of lost luggage, I could say that I never got notified that my luggage arrived at the airport.

It was reassuring after a 12 hour flight as well as the shorter flights within China. It's not a perfect system and you could argue all the downsides but it does work.

5. Re: Thoughts on luggage trackers? LugLoc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: June 17, 2016, 2:18 pm