We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rolling duffel bags/backpack

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Rolling duffel bags/backpack

Has anyone had experience with High Sierra rolling duffel bag that has backpack straps? The price is right but it doesn't have a waist strap like a regular backpack does - only the two shoulder straps. I can't decide if I should stick with this since I think I'll be rolling it 75% of the time or splurge and get something that's double the price, like the Caribee bag.

Thanks!!

Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Rolling duffel bags/backpack

I have the High Sierra bag but honestly have not used the backpack straps. I have only used it once on a trip to Seattle from Nashville. I fit almost everything for a two week trip in it with packing cubes, etc. but just never needed to use the straps. My husband doesn't seem to think they will hold with an sort of weight. He did use them but only from baggage claim to our car at BNA so that's not really anything to go by. I do like the bag though and everything seems great with it. I am possibly taking it to Italy come October but my husband also got me a 65 liter Osprey backpack to try. Not sure which one yet, I have to do a practice pack with the Osprey.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
28 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: Rolling duffel bags/backpack

It looks awfully big. If you really feel you need to travel with that much stuff, your husband is likely to be right that it won't be good enough to use as a backpack.

Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Rolling duffel bags/backpack

Hi Rebecca,

My husband and I bought two High Sierra rolling backpacks for a trip to Turkey that we took last year. They worked great! I'm not sure what model they were and we bought them at Campmor. They are no longer in stock. We are now going to Thailand with our adult daughters and we're in the market for two more roliing backpacks. I've been looking at the High Sierra AT2 and AT6. The ones we bought last year most resemble the AT2. We never had to have checked luggage and we rolled and carried them everywhere for 2 weeks. We also used the day packs.

One thing (and we knew this before we bought them) is that the day pack can be tricky to zip and unzip onto the backpack. It wasn't a big deal and it worked out.

Hope that this was helpful and happy adventuring to you!!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Rolling duffel bags/backpack

I've owned two High Sierra rolling backpacks with zipoff daypacks. Both were durable and roomy, though my first one (AT 404, if memory serves) had to be returned because of a faulty zipper for the daypack. High Sierra bags are very functional, if a bit heavy. I never used the backpack straps for the main bag, preferring to use it as a rollaboard. They fit in the domestic jet overheads I frequent and I never had an issue there. They won't fit in the overhead with the daypack attached, though, so that will have to go under the seat.

Good bags for a 1-2 week trip if you don't mind doing a load of laundry somewhere along the way. I've purchased my HS bags from eBags and received excellent service.

Busan, South Korea
Level Contributor
28 posts
5. Re: Rolling duffel bags/backpack

Just stick to your original choice. I have so many experiences regretting not following my first feeling.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
40 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Rolling duffel bags/backpack

I have the large High Sierra rolling duffel with backpack straps but haven't used it as a backpack mainly because the bottom half of the bag is quite rigid and I imagine it would be quite uncomfortable on one's back. I have used it several times as a rolling duffel though and it's excellent - very light and manoeuvreable as well.

7. Re: Rolling duffel bags/backpack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: August 31, 2014, 2:20 pm