We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Humidifier on a flight?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Humidifier on a flight?

The last time I flew overseas, my skin and throat became painfully dry, leading to an uncomfortable flight. I just saw this portable humidifier which would be such a relief on a flight: gadgetreview.com/2013/06/satechi-debuts-a-us… How do you think that would go through security? And with flight attendants/other passengers?

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,096 posts
85 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

It should go through like any other gadget. Just remember, you'll have fill or buy a water bottle after the airport security check.

P.S. some passengers and Flight Attendants might view it as a nuisance. Plus, you're not humidify'ing just your air but the entire cabin, and cabin air quality is tightly controlled.

Note: your problem sounds more like personal dehydration. Drink more water regularly, and increase your intake a week before a flight and drink lots while on a flight. Urge to urinate and clear urine is a good sign you're well hydrated. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,270 posts
61 reviews
264 helpful votes
2. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

You may get through TSA, but the flight attendants will not allow you to use a device that sends vapor out into the cabin.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
163 reviews
136 helpful votes
3. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

I don't think it will work for you. The device would have to raise the humidity in the entire cabin to be effective. And as stated above, you probably won't be able to use it on the plane.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
303 reviews
198 helpful votes
4. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

I think the flight attendants and other passengers would object strongly to the use of this gadget - use it in your hotel room perhaps. As already said , drink lots of water and try putting a little petroleum jelly in your nose (stops the dryness).

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,275 posts
5. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

I can't see that thing being useful on the ground either. Running off of USB it can't consume more than five watts of power. That is not enough to be able to vaporize any decent quantity of water. Unless it is directly under your nose, whatever water vapor it does create is just going to dissipate through the entire cabin.

Get a bottle of nasal saline. It is a great help at keeping your nasal passages moisturized.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

There's no way you'll be allowed to release vapours into an airplane cabin, that would be nuts in this day and age. Follow some of the great, common sense advice above to tackle your dehydration issue.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,762 posts
1,114 reviews
2,825 helpful votes
7. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

For a dry throat, drink water or other non-alcoholic liquids. For dry skin, use lotion. There are lots of lotions that don't smell flowery and you can carry on the tiny travel size or buy a larger one and fill an empty 3 ou bottle ;-)

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
159 helpful votes
8. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

Try putting a damp facecloth into a small ziploc bag. That will help the skin. But you'd look pretty foolish sucking on it. You can also buy small pump sprays of water that are less than 100ml.

Last year traveling through Amsterdam the "final" security check was right at the boarding gate. Meaning there was no way to get any liquids onto the plane even those purchased after the first round of security. I usually fill up my water bottle at a drinking fountain after security or buy a bottle of water inside security. That day they were making everyone dump their bottles.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

Some departure points in South America and the Caribbean are doing the same thing, Rautakallio. Not being allowed to board with a water bottle that was purchased 10 metres away in a Departure Lounge shop - total insanity, mindless bureaucratic bumbling at its worst.

I always get a small sense of satisfaction "smuggling" my water bottle(s) on board...

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
159 helpful votes
10. Re: Humidifier on a flight?

Yup. I totally agree. There were certainly a lot of mad people boarding the flight that day.