We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding traveling friends

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
2 posts
108 reviews
63 helpful votes
Finding traveling friends
Save

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has found an app or calendar solution that allows friends and associates to plug in destinations and dates, and ping them if there's a match. I remember one called Jetwerx from about 10 years ago that tried to do this, but I don't think it caught on.

I'm almost always traveling for work, and many of my friends do the same (all different companies, freelancers, bands, etc.), and so many times we find out after the fact that we were in the same city, etc.

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
Mac
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
62 reviews
102 helpful votes
1. Re: Finding traveling friends
Save

I think many social network apps have built in feature to find friends nearby, it goes through your phone contacts. I disabled this function early on, don’t know the details. Some started to suggest total strangers nearby which is annoying, I got messages from strangers want to connect with me, I declined all and disable it if I can find it.

My business travels are generally 6 days each trip to trade shows and conventions, organizers and companies usually have 1-2 big parties, 2-3 nights are group dinners with associates and sales team, 1-2 nights dinner with potential new hires or business counterparts. Lucky if we have 1 night for ourselves for private dinner or with local friends. All nights are booked. Get up 7AM, working all day on show floor, rush to dinner, it is 14-16 hours when I get back into hotels.

Once you are in same business for a long time, you get to know a lot of same people you see 10 times a year every year for decades, they became friends. Newbies search for new friends or networking, old foxes just want to rest, tomorrow is another day.

Reply to: Finding traveling friends
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.