We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
100 reviews
141 helpful votes
30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

This week will mark 30 days before our big trip. Anyone else getting close? We're in Swan Hellenic's new ship, SH Vega, that is currently just off Nunavut, Canada. It will be fun to follow the ship south on cruisemapper before we board her in Buenos Aires.

I have a good idea of what I plan to pack with the help of reading this forum. I hunted down some very old rain pants I have and will try them in the shower or a hose in the back yard to make sure they're still good. Still trying to decide exactly what I'll wear under them. I'll be taking a full DSLR camera kit and will probably take my best photos with my phone. :-)

I have been enjoying a few good books - just finishing up "Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica" by Sara Wheeler (loving it), have read some Barry Lopez essays, and "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" by Alfred Lansing (excellent). Next, I'll read "South" by Shackleton, and plan to take "The Birthday Boys" by Beryl Bainbridge on the trip. There are others on my list that I haven't got around to and probably won't before we leave for Argentina.

When we come back, I'll be sure to do a Trip Report. Just about more than anything, I want to breath the air in the Antarctic and have one perfect moment to enjoy being alive.

9 replies to this topic
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

Yay!!! So happy for you.

We’re in the close to our trip countdown too! We’re on the Le Boreal for F-SGI-AP departing on 11-21, but leave a couple weeks before then to travel about Argentina, so it’s a little over a month out. Having been trapped stateside for the longest spell of my adult life (this will be our first trip since our Arctic Circle trip Feb 2020 right before the quarantine), I have never been more appreciative or excited for a trip than this one.

You’ve got a great reading list. I just started Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Gerrard. Langsing’s book Endurance is one of my favorite of all times.

I have my entertainment to download list compiled, my takalong books ready. Packing lists are ready even if I have to exercise restraint in not packing already! It’s been so long, I’m going to have to reacquaint myself with how to use my camera! Lol. It’s so close I can taste it.

Agreed, this forum has been amazing at help us prepare, get ready, and feel like we’re not flying blind in a place where you don’t want to feel so overwhelmed. It’s our first trip down south, so I have read everything I could. Cannot thank all the regular posters enough for their guidance, feedback, and wonderful spirit of imparting tips.

Hope you have safe travels, an amazing trip and enjoy to beautiful white continent! Look forward to your trip report.

Ps. I used Minus33 merino wool long underwear under my shell in my arctic trip and they did terrific. So, can recommend them as non-scratchy, very comfortable, allowed good movement, and kept me plenty warm but not crazy hot.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
31 reviews
43 helpful votes
2. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

You can buy a waterproofing spray in most camping stores to give the old rain paints a once over. I do it to my goretex over pants in between trips.

Will be good to have a trip report from a new vessel. I look forward to it.

Enjoy your polar countdown !!!!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

Jazzy, here's hoping that we have a great trip, it has been an adventure to get even this far. In a way I have quit being excited as this is now my third attempt to get 'down south'. I've had my 'things' laid out for over six months now, so do you think this is excitement? Since Ponant cancelled my first part of this trip I have now had to scramble to make it all work, still working on getting my Santiago, Chile part to go. Will be in BA a few days before so will be looking around for 'things' to do. No tangoing for me :-)

Opps, realized that you are on the cruise after mine :-(

Edited: October 06, 2022, 4:24 am
United States
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

I recently read a book about the Belgica expedition and it was so good.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
100 reviews
141 helpful votes
5. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

Update from OP -- thanks for the messages everyone! I hope we all have wonderful trips!

I decided to buy better rain pants. The old ones leaked just a bit; that, and the fact that they are bright yellow, tipped my decision toward getting something else. I *think* I'm good to go with packing as long as I don't forget something.

I'm reading "South" now. Our cruise is called "Shackleton's Discovery" so it's good timing to familiarize myself with the story again. I have "Madhouse at the End of the Earth: The Belgica's Journey into the Dark Antarctic Night" on my reading list next.

I always make photo books through Blurb when we travel and this one is going to be combined with a trip we took to the Arctic Circle in April this year - it's a good excuse to title it "Bipolar Adventures 2022" or something like that!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
31 reviews
43 helpful votes
6. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

>>> Bipolar Adventures 2022" or something like that! <<<

To avoid connotations with a legitimate mental health condition I've always referred to it as "buy polar" !

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
100 reviews
141 helpful votes
7. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

OP here - we leave for Buenos Aires on Thursday. As my dad used to say, "It won't be long now, said the monkey when the train ran over his tail." Looking back, that's a rather gruesome thing to say but that's the old days.

In case anyone is interested, the COVID policy for our cruise with Swan Hellenic states, "... if you test positive during the cruise, we will need to isolate you and anyone sharing your accommodation for a period of 5 days as per prevailing Argentinean regulations." I know things can change quickly, but that's what it looks like now. Also, we did not get notice of a fuel surcharge so I'm happy about that.

Just finishing reading Shackleton's "South." I didn't expect it to be such a good, and funny, read. Loved it.

Here we go!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
20 helpful votes
8. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

Hi Jazzy,

We will be on Le Boreal with you! You have already left but will look for you onboard. Like others of you, this will be our third try for this adventure., fingers crossed! We are Barb and Rob.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
20 helpful votes
9. Re: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Save

Hi Jazzy,

We will be on Le Boreal with you! You have already left but will look for you onboard. Like others of you, this will be our third try for this adventure., fingers crossed!

Reply to: 30-day countdown - S.G., Falklands, Antarctic -November 2022
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.