We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking cane

Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
3 helpful votes
Walking cane

Will the airlines allow a person to board with a wooden cane? My husband hurt his back and needs a cane to get up and walk

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
23,544 posts
293 reviews
195 helpful votes
1. Re: Walking cane

dortlosangeles,

We needed a letter from the M.D., for the cane, & it was put through the scanner, below link for TSA & their help line.

tsa.gov/traveler-information/travelers-disab…

TSA Cares toll free at 1-855-787-2227

I hope this info helps.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
84 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking cane

I have never had a problem either in Europe or the US, and I use a metal cane.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,544 posts
293 reviews
195 helpful votes
3. Re: Walking cane

@Louise

My family member used a light wt metal cane (one can shorten) & a four prong metal stability cane (M.D. ordered).

sydney
Level Contributor
65 posts
4. Re: Walking cane

I use a walking stick whenever the mood takes me and have flown with it for 15 -16 years as on cobbled streets or rough surfaces it provides support, it is also handy for leaning on when queuing. the one I take is a metal folding product. Whilst it is put through the security Xrays I have never been queried about the requirement, and do not carry a supporting doctor's letter.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,544 posts
293 reviews
195 helpful votes
5. Re: Walking cane

My family member needed the canes for a degenerative disease of the central nervous system which affected the motor system, hence the use of the four point cane & the metal walking cane, & the M.D. documentation.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
17,245 posts
27 reviews
47 helpful votes
6. Re: Walking cane

dortlosangeles, have you been told you couldn't take a wooden walking cane by someone?.....I only ask because I carry a metal one, like others have stated, for uneven places, and standing somewhere a long time....it is put through the scanner but I've never been asked for a letter....so I wondered if that might be required for just the wooden models?...

maybe you should just call the airline and find out to be on the safe side.....

Europe
Level Contributor
18,554 posts
106 reviews
171 helpful votes
7. Re: Walking cane

After serious spinal fractures some years ago, I used a wooden walking stick ( cane) for a number of years, and It got put through the baggage scanner at many airports all over the world with no difficulty at all.

I then " upgraded" to a collapsable metal one, and that was no problem either.

The only time anyone drew attention to my stick was on our first trip to Mauritius, when, after disembarking the aircraft and making my way to immigration, a staff member remonstrated with me for not asking for assistance.

They didn't like to see someone " less able, Madam" toddling along with a stick. They wanted to make me feel special by offering every assistance, even though I didn't actually need any!

Wonderful people, Mauritians!

Kind regards

Mon

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,544 posts
293 reviews
195 helpful votes
8. Re: Walking cane

Mon,

We had zero problems traveling w/the wood cane, or the light weight metal cane, in the U.S., & abroad, Till, Dec. 2001, (After 9/11), switching to the 4 prong, we were advised to get the M.D., letter, (I think most folks are unfamiliar w/the heaviness of the 4 prong), I held onto the light weight metal one till it was needed.

Kind Regards,

Kesh

Europe
Level Contributor
18,554 posts
106 reviews
171 helpful votes
9. Re: Walking cane

Kesh,

That made me laugh a bit...

My metal collapsable one, in a nice bright jazzy pattern, is made by " Switchstick" ... Coincidence?

Kindest regards from steamy, airless Kent where it is still 26c and I've run out of windows to open and fans to turn on!

Mon

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,544 posts
293 reviews
195 helpful votes
10. Re: Walking cane

Mon,

duro med? boring black.

Poor Mon, sorry to say, I just looked at your weather report for tomorrow, very warm & icky, same for here, however, a/c in house.

Kesh