We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary Blue Bagde - UK

East Ham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Temporary Blue Bagde - UK
Save

My elderly mother is visiting me in July. She has reduced mobility and walk with a wheeled walking aid. She's not able to walk very far.

How do I apply for a temporary blue badge or what can I do to make things easier for her while she's here when driving herself or driving her around?

Any help or suggestions would be great appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
337 reviews
278 helpful votes
1. Re: Temporary Blue Bagde - UK
Save

There is no temporary blue badge in the UK as far as I know. I take it your mother doesn't live in the UK?

She could apply for a blue badge, but it does take time and from my experience involves a visit to the council office, and then a wait of a couple of weeks before it arrives. So probably no use to her. But you should contact your local council and see what they advise, as they are the ones who issue blue badges.

Once you're disabled, travelling abroad is much more difficult, and the disabled parking privileges are difficult to use out of your own country.

East Ham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Temporary Blue Bagde - UK
Save

Thank you for your response.

My mother is South African and is here visiting for 6 weeks.

I will contact my local council to ask for their advise.

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
337 reviews
278 helpful votes
3. Re: Temporary Blue Bagde - UK
Save

You're welcome. Good luck

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
140 reviews
93 helpful votes
4. Re: Temporary Blue Bagde - UK
Save

As said there is no such thing as a temporary Blue Badge. As part of the application you need to prove address, such as Council Tax bill, DWP letter etc. Your mother wont have anything to prove this. You will also need to prove the disability such as Doctors letters etc. Councils are tightening up on the issue of Blue Badges as they have been abused in the past and are still to a lesser extent.

By all means contact your council but first read the links below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one/can-i-get-a-blue-badge

https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge

https://www.newham.gov.uk/health-adult-social-care/accessible-transport/3

Edited: May 08, 2022, 12:24 am
London, England
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
69 reviews
63 helpful votes
5. Re: Temporary Blue Bagde - UK
Save

Does she have the equivalent of a Blue Badge at home? If she does you may be able to get her a reciprocal agreement, which would be granted by your local council.

Reply to: Temporary Blue Bagde - UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.