We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros and Cons of renting an Electric WC vs. a Scooter?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
140 reviews
77 helpful votes
Pros and Cons of renting an Electric WC vs. a Scooter?
Save

I have used and own a mobility scooter. I have never used an electric wheelchair.

I am wanting to go back to Las Vegas, which I have been to many times and I was thinking an Electric WC may be just as good for me as a scooter. I can walk, but not a lot, so for places like The M&M Store I will probably park and walk as the store is so crowded.

Thoughts? Has anyone used both and can give me some pros and cons?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
337 reviews
278 helpful votes
1. Re: Pros and Cons of renting an Electric WC vs. a Scooter?
Save

I don't use either, but on occasions have borrowed a scooter at an attraction.

My only thoughts are that you are used to a scooter, so you haven't got to learn how to handle a wheelchair.

Also those who use electric wheelchairs are often much more severely disabled than those using scooters, at least in the UK. While it would be normal to see somebody walk away from a scooter, I've never seen anybody get out of a wheelchair!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
140 reviews
77 helpful votes
2. Re: Pros and Cons of renting an Electric WC vs. a Scooter?
Save

Thank you and good points. Could be funny though.

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
337 reviews
278 helpful votes
3. Re: Pros and Cons of renting an Electric WC vs. a Scooter?
Save

That occurred to me too :)

Exton, Pennsylvania
1 post
4. Re: Pros and Cons of renting an Electric WC vs. a Scooter?
Save

I have been using a mobility scooter for the last 15 years but recently had to upgrade to an electric wheelchair. Mobility scooters work great for people that still have decent mobility but can't go long distances. Electric wheelchairs are better for people with very limited mobility. So guess the answer to your questions depends on your current mobility status. Another plus to the electric wheelchair is they are much smaller and easier to move around in larger crowds. This article does a good job of explaining the differences - https://scootersbuy.com/mobility-scooter-and-electric-wheelchair-differences/

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
140 reviews
77 helpful votes
5. Re: Pros and Cons of renting an Electric WC vs. a Scooter?
Save

Thank you.

Reply to: Pros and Cons of renting an Electric WC vs. a Scooter?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.