We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

Springfield...
2 posts
Save Topic
Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

Hello, we're preparing for international travel on United and ANA and need to eat egg free. Last year in Alaska Air, we noticed the meals and snacks offered were all labeled with common allergy info. Will we find the same info on United and ANA?

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

<< Will we find the same info on United and ANA? >>

Maybe, but I'd check with the Easter Bunny first.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

On long haul flights (assume you are going to Japan since you mention ANA) food is generally not served in labeled packaging - check with the airline for their list of special-request meals and pick one that suits you before you fly.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,537 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

Nope . If you need to order in advance please pick a special meal on United and ANA.

Level Contributor
1,165 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

Never seen any label on UA.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

No labels on UA food.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

The only label one can find on UA food in economy is "poor" better to bring your own.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,097 posts
1,412 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

Agree with Belomiser.

Now, we do not do many Bistro on Board packages, but do not recall any “allergy labels,” when we did.

Best of luck,

Hunt

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,544 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

I fly UA and ANA often, never seen any special label on food, but I’ve never ordered special meal. Food allergy is a foreign concept to most foreigners and in foreign restaurants.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

I have never seen airline food (apart from pre-packed snacks given out) labelled with allergen information.

I have a dairy allergy and order a special meal, these usually only have the code of the meal on it, no list of ingredients/allergens. If I am flying an airline for the first time, I contact the office in my home country and ask what meal is most suitable, explaining my allergy. Usually it's the vegan meal (VGML) and I suspect this might be your only option as well. Double check with the airlines, I have found airlines very helpful in giving out information I need to make a suitable choice.

Edited: January 04, 2018, 2:23 pm
Springfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?

Thank you for your help. We've traveled these routes before, but not since the allergy diagnosis. It sounds like Alaska's provisions are not the norm. When we purchased a hot meal with them (stl to pdx), it had a sticker on the top lid with allergy info. We always have snacks, but we'll order specialty meals too, since 6 and 12 hour flights are nicer with something more substantial to eat. Thanks!

Reply to: Allergy labels on United and ANA food?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted