We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air fare discrepancy

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Air fare discrepancy

I'm looking at business class fares from PDX to London with a return to PDX from Berlin. An airline website offers business class at over $7,000, while a well-known travel site offers the same flights for less than $5,000. Why the big difference?

12 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,507 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air fare discrepancy

It might not be a live price, or it may be a different fare bucket.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,543 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air fare discrepancy

In addition to what is listed above it could be that said well known travel agent has bought a bulk set of restricted tickets at a discount from the airline, this is why you can end up with "Expedia Special Fares" and the like.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,986 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air fare discrepancy

Be careful about well known agencies -- as Sun says it may or may not be the live price

Check what Google flights/ skyscanner show as well but book if possible with the airline

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
49,415 posts
1,648 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air fare discrepancy

Also, there are many threads about dealing with some “well known agencies” on this forum.

Is the one cited, one of those? A member of the rouges gallery?

Best of luck,

Hunt

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air fare discrepancy

Thanks for the replies. I am now even more puzzled. I'm comparing Delta One fares (business class) on Delta's own website. For a three-leg trip -- PDX to LHR, LHR to Berlin, Berlin to PDX -- the fare is $6,266. But if I drop the London-Berlin segment (and take a train instead, for example), the fare for the two-leg trip (PDX to LHR, then Berlin to PDX) is $7400. How does that make economic sense to Delta?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,761 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air fare discrepancy

How does that make economic sense to Delta? - Fares are based on supply/demand as well as what prices a particular route will command.

There are many examples where dropping a flight from a multi city trip costs more.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air fare discrepancy

hmmm . . . what are the dates please?? I'm seeing $4800 on DL's site for PDX-LHR & BER-PDX.

A bit of this issue is likely to be that DL only have 1 seasonal flight to Berlin (JFK) and flights other than LHR may need to be on partner airlines . . . . . Virgin, DL's LHR partner, (subsidiary) do not fly to BER either, so I'm puzzled who was operating the LHR-BER segment of the 3 flight ticket??

It's not too clear what you are looking at yet

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air fare discrepancy

Some of those prices and options on that routing look very strange. It's definitely the inclusion of Berlin.

I have no idea of your plans (none of my business) but, if you can make it fit, try searching for PDX-LHR & FRA-PDX for your business ticket, (from $3600) then 2 seperate single tickets for LHR-BER & BER-FRA if your schedule allows.

Part of the issue seems to be that BA is the only business class non-stop LHR-BER and they do not partner with Delta, BA are part of the one world alliance. An interesting conundrum tho' ;-)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air fare discrepancy

Is it possible they're on AF or KLM? They also partner with DL.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,445 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air fare discrepancy

"well-known travel site offers the same flights"

There have been complaints on here from people buying, from one of the booking sites, what was apparently the same fare level on the same flight, only to find out subsequently that it was in fact a special discounted fare that did not have the same conditions with respect to cancellation, baggage etc. I'd say you have to read the small print very carefully before concluding that you are buying exactly the same thing at a better price, and also bear in mind that if something goes wrong, when you buy through a third party you can't deal directly with the airline as regards alternative arrangements. And/or, have a good travel insurance policy.

Reply to: Air fare discrepancy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted