We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

London
Level Contributor
261 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

Am going on holiday to Canaries next week and had booked an onward flight on Niki Air to Zurich for second leg of holiday on 3rd January. I understand that by paying by credit card the cost of the flight will be refunded, but having difficulty finding another flight to Zurich, even back to UK won't be easy.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation and what did you do?

18 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

Did you try Austrian, which is apparently fulfilling some of Niki's commitments? See atwonline.com/airlines/niki-bankruptcy-leave…

It's not clear what "similar situation" you are asking about: refund or alternative arrangement (e.g. Austrian) in the event of the original airline going bankrupt (where compensation for cancelled flights is covered by EU rules, see https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/), or finding a flight from the Canaries to Zurich.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,791 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

As the airline collapse was very recent, I doubt you will find too many others commenting on what arrangements they made. I've none seen any posted on this forum yet, you are possibly the first.

I'm guessing you chose this route because it was cheap or because there (albeit unlikely) are no direct, non stop flights from the UK to whichever island in the Canaries is your ultimate destination.

It's my understanding you should get your Niki ticket refunded. But have not read the fine print as I was not affected.

How much did you pay to get from your home airport to ZRH?

It might be cheaper or at least very much simpler now to write of that (presumably return) flight and buy a whole new flight from home to your destination.

You might want to check what your travel insurance says regarding airline collapse and consequent costs, as you might be able to recoup the other flight that way, but that's a long shot, I admit.

SWT

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

I'm also unsure of the objective, but, if it's Canaries to Zurich, on the 3rd

Easyjet fly ACE-BSL - Basel , 50 miles from Zurich - on the 3rd for £200.

Also available - LPA-STR £200 Condor :: LPA-FDH £270 Germania :: FUE-STR £370 by TUI

There are a plethora back to London for circa £200

London
Level Contributor
261 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

To be a little clearer, I fly to La Palma next week, we had an interconnecting Binter Canarias flight to Gran Canaria (that is refundable) and from there we were going to Zurich on 3rd Jan. We have a lot of things pre-paid in Zurich. The choice of Niki Air was because it flew on the day we wanted to where we wanted to go

The Niki Air collapse has not been widely publicized, in fact it was a pure fluke I discovered it. You can read about it on the BBC's Europe News section of the website, it was also reported on in the Financial Times and The Telegraph.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

It was on here the other day ;-) posted by USBT if I recall correctly.

Well, hopefully that Easyjet ACE-BSL gets you to Zurich (BSL plus 50miles overland) and you can enjoy the rest of your break. or there is an LPA-BSL on the 2nd circa £330

Here's that post about NIKI & why it happened, posted 13th

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10…

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,791 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

OK, now we have the full story, it seems it's just an independent flight between LPA and ZRH that's affected.

Have you checked to see if your flight has been pulled, or are you trying to be proactive, assuming that that will happen and that you may or may not get notification eventually?

If you need to so something, I'd go with one of the airlines mentioned in post 3 to wherever you can get a close airport and take a train then, or see what Austrian are offering.

I did read about it in the Telegraph, as it happens. It seems a Lufty buy out was stopped by the EU regs.

SWT

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

It's on NIKI's website SWT https://www.flyniki.com/en/start.php

There are repatriation flights operated by other airlines, up untill the 31st Dec - it appears that's as far as it goes.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,791 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

I'm aware it's on the flyniki website. I'd not looked as I said as I have no flights, just mentioned that I'd seen it in the press as well, so at a guess it's mentioned in other media sources as well, and that there's no conspiracy of silence. But as it's recent, this is possibly the first topic on this particular travel forum.

SWT

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

The story was headline news yesterday across the German-speaking countries, which of course were Niki's main market. I even saw a headline on a Greek news website (lots of Niki flights to Greece in summer 2017, but not now 2018).

It's not all that surprising that it wasn't much reported in the UK, since they didn't operate flights there, and the UK media is notorious for ignoring stories they can't put a local slant on.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday

When I was scheduled to fly on an airline that went bankrupt a week before my planned flight, I contacted my credit card company and was told "On the day of your flight, when there is no plane there, you contact us and we will refund the money." And they did, within days.

Until there actually is no flight, your credit card won't reimburse you because there is a possibility arrangements will be made.

Reply to: Have a flight booked with Niki Air which collapsed yesterday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted