We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

father & 16 yr old daughter trip ideas

2 posts
father & 16 yr old daughter trip ideas
Save

I am located in Louisiana and looking for somewhere to take my daughter for vacation first week of June in the U.S. We can fly, rent car or whatever (any budget really). She loves outdoors (but isn't very active). Any suggestions?

3 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
34,477 posts
108 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: father & 16 yr old daughter trip ideas
Save

In normal times I'd suggest one of the big Western National Parks BUT this year and this close to your travel date I'm not sure that is going to be possible.

There is a huge shortage of Rental Cars this year so BEFORE you book anything, check on rental car availability. On the Wyoming and Montana forums we've had many threads with people saying all rental cars are completely sold at the airports that are the typical arrival locations for Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Glacier.

Covid has also impacted some of the parks in that their lodging concessioners have not been able to open all their rooms. They typically house their employees in dorm rooms with 2-6 people in each room and have to have them housed singly this year so it's cut way back on how many they can hire.

Have you considered doing a road trip from your home so you don't have to depend on renting a car? I don't have knowledge of any of the cool outdoor parks in the South any more but if you do think a Road Trip would be fun, there is an actual Road Trip forum here on TA. I'm wondering about the Ozarks? That would give you some mountainy bits but not too strenuous. I'm sure that Great Smoky Mountain National Park is going to be overwhelmed this year so I'd not suggest that.

2 posts
2. Re: father & 16 yr old daughter trip ideas
Save

D0bby thanks for the insight. I didn't even think about all the rentals being taken so quickly this year. I think a road trip might be in order then. Drove through the Ozarks before so that could be an option.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
34,477 posts
108 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: father & 16 yr old daughter trip ideas
Save

Oh yes, the car rental situation is a real mess!

You could also consider some of the Texas beach areas. I am sure they are going to be jammed this summer as well so that might be an issue.

If a Road Trip is in the cards, I'd check out the relevant Trip Advisor forums to see what the locals are saying about visitor services this year. You may need to get on it for making reservations.

Reply to: father & 16 yr old daughter trip ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.