We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
240 posts
Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

Hi,

I always travel alone and my trips are hard t,and adventurous trips. Usually I take many flights in my travels. I have recently had a big back problems and can't move heavy luggage anymore. So I was thinking about whether to buy a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels.

If you use them or have used both, can you tell me which one is more comfortable?

Thank you

12 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
34,038 posts
108 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

I've only used 2 wheel luggage which I transitioned to from a backpack when it got too heavy for my old back. If you are going to have to pull it across any cobblestone streets or rough ground the 2-wheels are better suited for that. The 4-wheelers work fine for going thru airports but I've seen wheels get shredded on cobbles or steep-ish streets.

If you are going on adventurous trips will you be using smaller planes to get to difficult places? Just thinking that if that is a possibility you might go with the smallest, lightest case that will work for you. I've gone down to a 20 inch (sorry I'm sure you think in centimeters as your location indicates Italy but I'm on my phone and can't look up the conversion, lol) 2-wheeler which I can lift onto a European train.

Edited: April 19, 2021, 12:15 am
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
240 posts
2. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

Thank you for your precious news.

20 inch = 50,8 cm ;) ;)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,280 posts
132 reviews
82 helpful votes
3. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

We have found our 4 wheelers to be much better than our 2 wheels. But stay out of gravel. Our 4 wheelers can tip and ride on 2 wheels only which is basically the same as what we have before. Just make sure you get a quality case that can withstand the kind of treatment you will be putting it through.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
240 posts
4. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

Do you not think 4 wheels are better at Airports where the the flooring is smooth. I will take the baggage in every place. I thank you again.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
240 posts
5. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

I have no practical experience and for this reason I asked the question. I knew that 4 wheels are wonderful on a smooth surface but if you then transport the suitcase on 4 wheels out of the Airports, on the rough road, a suitcase with 2 wheels is much better. Am I wrong?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
30 reviews
43 helpful votes
6. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

I just sold my 4 wheel samsonite. After two trips it really annoyed me. Only place it was of use was on dead smooth airport floors. Everywhere else, footpaths, roads, dirt roads, cobblestones - it was terrible.

I went back to my various 2 wheel bags.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
240 posts
7. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

Thanks a lot

Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
33 helpful votes
8. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

I understand it's really a personal preference, but my experience with my samsonite 4-wheeler suitcase has been great. In smooth surfaces is super easy and comfortable to move, while if needed you can always tilt it and use the 2 wheels instead of 4. Hope it helps!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
240 posts
9. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

>Everywhere else, footpaths, roads, dirt roads, cobblestones - it was terrible.

If you allow me I would like to ask you: why do you go to those streets?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
34,038 posts
108 reviews
43 helpful votes
10. Re: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Save

"If you allow me I would like to ask you: why do you go to those streets?"

Not PerfectlyPerth but I've had the occasion to pull my 2-wheeler along a dirt path to a hotel room or cabin in the US National Park I visit most. Some of the parking areas are paved, some are left as dirt/gravel to allow more natural drainage of rain and snow. Some of the parking areas are also old and have some broken pavement areas and there are apparently no funds to repair.

Cobblestones...well...very few in the US but I suspect you still have some in Roma?

I'm not sure if those are the conditions which PerfectlyPerth was considering when they posted but definitely easier with a 2-wheeler over 4!

Reply to: Better a suitcase with 2 or 4 wheels?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.