We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extreme trekking/hiking trip

Horsham, United...
3 posts
Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

I'm looking for some suggestions please. My friend and I (two women aged 40 and 42) have previously done Kilimanjaro, Everest Base Camp and Peru - Salkantay trek and Rainbow mountain.

We get 2 weeks every couple of years to escape without our husbands and kids to do something amazing.

However.... I am struggling for ideas this time. We love being in a group and want it to be challenging. We can go anywhere in the world as we will be saving up.

We absolutely loved Everest as it was so beautiful and trekking in a group was brilliant.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe traversing Costa Rica or something in the Amazon or Borneo but tbh there are so many options I am actually a bit bamboozled by it all.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..... one whole 10-12 day trek or 2 treks that we could fit onto the 2 week period.

Thank you all!

27 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
33,964 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

"When" are these two weeks, as in dates of travel?..............you havent mentioned a time, which is quite important IMO, as weather patterns change all year long and in all parts of the world.......

Youd want to travel somewhere that the weather is right for the activity youre after

Edited: 1 year ago
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
33,964 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
2. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

To add................If you are thinking of hiking in Costa Rica, or Borneo, or another destination, then you'll get more targeted ideas/information if you post directly on the actual Tripadvisor "DESTINATION" Forum for the location of interest.

Tripadvisor has created a "Destination" Forum for virtually all countries/cities here on their website, and each Forum is designed to assist members who need travel advice about that particular location..

For example, the members who are planning travel to Costa Rica, have travelled to Costa Rica, live in Costa Rica, and are local "Destionation" Experts fror Costa Rica follow that Forum, and give advice there...

It works the same way with all destinations worldwide............so if you have a location in mind, give the Destination Forums a try too

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,447 posts
464 reviews
473 helpful votes
3. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

For mountains, Northern Pakistan would be the most spectacular.

Now in North America (US, Canada, Alaska) there are many backcountry hikes in really remote and wild areas.

Baja California...
Level Contributor
177 posts
45 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

I've been to base camp on the north side, and the Amazon (outside of Iquitos, Peru). I hike often and a mountaineer friend suggested we hike a 13k ft mountain in Morocco next spring. She has been so I'm guessing it's great... I haven't looked into yet. I have a few reviews of my Amazon trip but it was a leisurely trip - not much hiking.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
132 reviews
82 helpful votes
5. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

Look at this web site: https://nahanni.com/

and consider the Nahanni river, in northern Canada Total wilderness and adventure.

Horsham, United...
3 posts
6. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

Thanks for your help. I'm new to this! haha

Horsham, United...
3 posts
7. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

Ideally we would go in October/November but if something came up that we loved then we could change our timings.

The rafting looks brilliant but I'd like to do more trekking than rafting.

World
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
140 reviews
171 helpful votes
8. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

Try to consider a trek in Bhutan, there are different levels of difficulty, although most are not easy at 3000-4000 meters.

You can either join a group with f.e.Exodus, or plan it all by yourself with a Bhutanese agent, then you are the master of your time.October is high season, so planning early is advised. Pop over to our forum for more information.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
788 posts
63 reviews
156 helpful votes
9. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

You should check out some Patagonia trekking adventures!

One of the top destinations for extreme hiking here in Argentina is a small Patagonian village called El Chalten. It is our personal favorite since itis not overly populated by tourists, and there are many different trail options for various lengths and difficulties.

Mt. Fitz Roy is the reward for your hiking efforts :))

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
46 posts
10. Re: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Save

Climb Mt Rwenzori of Uganda, the third highest point in Africa. In addition, you can choose to hike Mt Nyiragongo, an active strata volcano

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Nyiragongo

Reply to: Extreme trekking/hiking trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.