We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

Melbourne
Level Contributor
135 posts
43 reviews
50 helpful votes
Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

Hi All

I'm going on a 6 month travel adventure to Japan, Europe, UK and South America and I am so undersided about what luggage I should take.

I've got a 70 litre backpack while my wheeled Duffel bag is 80 litres. I also suffer from lower back pain and in my early 50's to add in the mix.

I don't anticipate that I will be carrying my gear for any extended periods but will need to move it from airport, trains etc to hostels or wherever my accommodation is.

I know there are other posts regarding the old age debate of Backpack vs suitcase, but I still cannot decide! I suppose what's stopping me from using my backpack would be whether I can carry it for 6 months with lower pack pain!

If it was you, what would you do?

Any advice is good advice

Thanks!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
135 posts
43 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

Sorry-undersided should be undecided!

SYD-LON-MUC
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
176 reviews
209 helpful votes
2. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

Hi Andrew

IMO I would go for the wheeled and save the back.

The last thing I would want is a minor injury that would limit my travels.

Though the back may hold up now I feel it is not worth the risk. One little twitch and it could all be over.

I'll use my dad for an example. He is pushing 70 and still thinks he is 18.

About 2 months ago he pulled a muscle in his right shoulder and had constant pain. Saw the dr and happens it is a tear that will heal over a very long time. Long story short if he doesn't decide on the wheeled luggage option he'll lose the unpainful use of his left shoulder.

He still didn't want to listen to our GP (who is also a family friend of ours).

So I had my brother in law who is a surgeon speak to him and check him out. He finally listened.

He has been traveling consistently for the past 6 years and only home for about 2 weeks at a time max.

I understand you are much younger but you just never know.

On the plus side a great way to really discipline yourself on traveling/packing light :)

Brad

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
141 reviews
83 helpful votes
3. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

go ahead and take a chance on hurting your back: NOT, Do you really want to take that kind of chance?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
35,853 posts
111 reviews
155 helpful votes
4. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

Just started to travel again after a pelvic injury (already done my back in yanking a 9wheeled) suitcase over a step in anger) and now find that my cabin bag back pack that's been fine for years gives me trouble. It's the length of time traipsing round airports & stations trying to find out where to be, queuing, delays etc.

Don't spoil bits of your trip because of stuborness. Take the wheels and lift those sensibily when needed.

People huff and puff as it takes me a few seconds more to get on and off transport but they can't see the injury. Tough, it's seconds to do it right but makes a big difference to me.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
46,506 posts
44 reviews
31 helpful votes
5. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

Andrew - I bought one of these suitcases a few years ago. I have loved it. It is a convertible bag - it is a rolly, but can be switched to a backpack. I bought it with that in mind, that if I was in an area where I couldn't use it with the rollers, I would have options. It is very lightweight and I bought the size that meets all international carry on flight sizes. Hope that gives you some ideas. shop.eaglecreek.com/d/1584…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
135 posts
43 reviews
50 helpful votes
6. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

Thank you all for your advice! After consideration with me back and the length of time I'm planning on traveling for, I think a wheelie is going to be more beneficial to me.

SYD-LON-MUC
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
176 reviews
209 helpful votes
7. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

Good decision I say :)

Have a cracking trip...

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
8. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

One solution could be to seriously reconsider what you really need, cut down on number of items and take only lightweight modern travel/outdoor clothing. If you are not travelling in cold/arctic conditions you should be able to manage with a 40 liter pack, even less. I have not carried more than 34 litres during the past 15 years, even with a large DSLRs or a prosumer video camera. Light and small enough to have as carry-on on flights. Very liberating.

This advice does not apply if you need hiking gear, down jackets etc.

Iligan, Philippines
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

We recently discovered "daypack" lately, accidentally visited this site -- https:/… , and we thought it would be perfect compared to the heavy luggage. We eliminated some stuff like stashing water, some foodpacks, etc, as we are not really going on remote places and those can be easily bought and replenish. That is what we use with my hubby when we go to Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia for 7 days. Both of us has own daypacks and it can easily stash on handcarry plane compartments (if you don't overload it and if it's a bigger plane). That's just my 2cents here...

Edited: September 18, 2017, 4:49 pm
10. Re: Backpack or wheeled Duffel bag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: September 20, 2018, 2:18 pm