We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Airbnb bookings now require this?

LJC
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
16 helpful votes
All Airbnb bookings now require this?
Save

Had anyone made a booking on Airbnb lately? The last time I tried to make a booking was back in Dec and I backed out b/c Airbnb was making me upload the front and back of my driver license AND take a picture of myself in realtime (not an upload) using their software. I don't quite understand if this was a global policy for all bookings or are there some bookings I don't have to do this with. I have no problem showing my ID to a hotel or host but uploading front and back of my ID on a big tech platform and adding a webcam pic of myself to boot seems way to invasive. Their privacy policy clearly leaves room for them to sell that to third parties.

3 replies to this topic
Tex
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
1. Re: All Airbnb bookings now require this?
Save

LJC -- this is not new. Arbnb instituted this requirement in 2013. They may periodically request an update and also know hosts can require it too.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: All Airbnb bookings now require this?
Save

So, um, LJC, you know we give our homes to TOTAL STRANGERS who have no qualifications other than to be able to pay the rent? You know how ridiculous that is? Air is trying to give owners a tiny bit of security by getting your ID. Have you noticed any of the many many news items when guests destroy a rental home? That's why you get to prove your identity. If it's any comfort, we owners STILL don't get to see anything other than your first name.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
19,219 posts
268 reviews
142 helpful votes
3. Re: All Airbnb bookings now require this?
Save

I understand it may seem invasive but even paying for something by credit card leaves room for “big tech platforms” to sell financial information to third parties. Do you worry when you buy and pay for books, food, clothing online?

Reply to: All Airbnb bookings now require this?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.