The hotel should be called the Discomfort Inn, because the rooms, while clean, were old, and in bad need of remodeling. The staff did what they could to make the place pleasant but there was no denying the accumulated wear everywhere in the room. The breakfast room followed no covid guidelines whatsoever. There were no disposable gloves at the buffet, so everyone had to handle the same utensils. I saw no staff member wear a mask, even in the elevators where the space is more contained. There are a number of hotels in the immediate area. Try those instead.
Two nights. Pretty busy place. No real issues with the hotel, but previously used soap in the shower. However, that was the only room issue. Guests were all appropriate as encountered and no issues with late night noise. A good location for access to I290 and several restaurants and grocery stores. Biggest complaint is they said my choicehotels membership did not afford any discount. But was later told if I booked through the choice hotels website (I made it directly with desk staff) - I I would have likely had a discount.
We booked this hotel because of the free hot breakfast and its location. Breakfast was white bread wrapped in plastic, hard boiled eggs and packaged oatmeal. There was a broken down car in front of the hotel. The pool was closed for construction. The room smelled like smoke. Very disappointed and will never come back.
This was a quiet location that has a few restaurants nearby. The grab-and-go breakfast was average. The room was clean, as were the common areas. No frills, only the basics, but still a decent stay. Overall not bad for one night.
We came to check in and the younger lady was kind and I told her we extended our stay (a huge regret). She gave me a confirmation letter and checked us in our room. We went in and the room smelt like someone was smoking. The kitchen smelt like mold and there was only one bed when we asked for 2. The AC also made so much noise. It was really hard to sleep. The next day we told them about how dissatisfied we were with the room so they switched us to a new one. The new room was better but the kitchen still smelt like mold. The AC was a lot less noisy. However, the toiled was overflowing. We called the front desk 14 times and no one picked up so my boyfriend went downstairs. The gentleman said because we have changed our room already he can only give us a plunger. We were furious!!! You gave US a plunger to clean someone else’s doing?!???? How sick is that??? Plus when we got a room change it was YOUR fault, not ours. We went back, got some towels and gloves and cleaning products and unclogged the toilet. The next day I get a call from front desk telling us we must check out. Not knowing that we extended our stay the night we came. That evening we got another call from front desk telling us to check out! How do you make the same mistake twice???! It was honestly the worst experience ever. We will never come back again nor recommend anyone. This place is awful and needs to be closed down. The rooms were also really dirty- it just smelt clean but when you would take a tissue and wipe the counter it would be dusty black. You were basically staying at a low quality expensive motel.…