I have stayed at Phoenix Guesthouse several times and keep going back because it truly is the most welcoming and classy guesthouse I have ever stayed in! I have travelled extensively and have had some wonderful accommodations, but nothing beats Phoenix Guesthouse and it is 4 hours away.
Peter the owner, goes out of his way to make sure you have everything you need and it is astonishing to see what he has single handedly accomplished with the exquisite house which he bought several years ago and converted it from a half finished, badly constructed building, to an absolute paradise!
The views are unbeatable and would surpass anyone's expectations. Peter designed the rooms in such a way that no matter which room you choose, you will have a view from somewhere, even if it is from the magnificent glass shower in the Green Room! The White room upstairs is my favorite room though because it does have the best uninterrupted views of all. The red room is extremely cozy and private for those of you who prefer to hide away, a little more private..it also has a balcony which makes for a romantic evening outside :-). Then of course but not least, the master suite is something most people only dream about! Complete with a huge veranda and jacuzzi bath - you don't want to stay in this room alone! It is made for romance, champagne and red roses!
Breakfast is included at Phoenix and is always a treat. Peter is also an accomplished chef and he cooks up a mouth watering morning meal which is so generous that I find I don't need to eat again until early evening. It is served outside on the veranda next to the pool or in the dining room, as one wishes. Peter also offers to cook in the evening, but this of course comes at an additional cost. You will not be disappointed if you opt for this!
I could go on and on, but you really need to find out for yourself and I can assure you that you will want to go back again and again. Peter will make you feel so at home, you will want to visit him again. Thank you Peter for all the times you made my holiday unforgettable!
Instead of writing a little essay I will give you the top 10 reasons to choose Phoenix guest house as your next choice of accommodation when you are on the Garden Route.
1. Peter(The host) - What an unbelievable host, from the welcome to his funny stories and great advice.
2. The location/views - breathtaking panoramic views of Wildnerness.
3. The house itself - the decor is so contemporary and well thought out. We absolutely loved all the different art pieces. I loved the modern bathrooms and how spacious it was.
4. The swimming pool - Take a dip while overlooking the beautiful Wildnerness beach.
5. The breakfast(with a mind-blowing view) - Peter does not hold back with breakfast(portions), everything is freshly made and well-presented. The homemade granola was divine by the way and the fruit salad(with avocado) blew me away as well. We also loved the little chats after finishing our breakfast and enjoying a coffee with Peter.
6. The ambiance/mood - Peter made us feel like it was our house, we never felt uncomfortable and the roaming around the property it felt like it was our little abode for 3 days. And he played my favourite kind of music throughout our stay(Groove lounge).
7. The chats/recommendations - Peter was always willing to engage with us(not overwhelmingly so) and always had great recommendations for the village and activities around the Garden route area.
8. House design - The design and detail of the whole house blew us away. Right up our alley.
9. Waking up to the sound of the waves - Get the white room and sleep with all your doors open. You will wake up to the sound of the waves crashing and sunrises which will be imprinted in your memory for years to come.
10. Luxurious feel - The whole experience has a very luxurious(without being pretentious) feel to it.
At first we did not knew what to expect from the Phoenix guesthouse. And since we have been to several other 4 star guesthouses it totally surprised us. The whole experience, as I call it, is a combination of the luxury and service of a 5 star hotel with the privacy of renting your own villa. The location is just too awesome, the Phoenix is located on the higher part of the hill and therefore has the most beautiful view on the stunning white wilderness beach. The breakfast is a big thing at the Phoenix, since preparations started at 5 in the morning. It was like filling in a wish list, ticking all the nice things we would like to start our day with.
Peter is the most welcoming guesthouse owner who respects your privacy and insists that you treat his house as your own. On the other end, if you want to know more about this fascinating person you can ask him for a bite or a drink at the poolside. Which as we saw it, was a great addition to our holiday since we like to learn new people and hear their stories.
For our 3 day stay in wilderness we had several things on our planning, but we ended up skipping some of these in order to spend more time at the phoenix guesthouse. An afternoon at the pool made our holiday complete. All in all, we were positively surprised and were sad to leave this little piece of heaven on earth. I can and will recommend the Phoenix to all that are looking for luxury, great service, beautiful views and a welcoming and most of all interesting host.
Our experience at Phoenix Guesthouse was incredible from start to finish. Driving up Constantia Kloof and arriving at Phoenix Guesthouse, a warm welcome was awaiting us by Peter - the owner of Phoenix Guesthouse. A nice glass of chilled South African wine; a tour through the guesthouse and of course the White Room we had booked.
A very spacious room with all comforts one needs. Breathtaking panoramic views through top-to-floor glass windows (that can be opened fully). Very comfortable bed and nice shower and bath.
In the morning a mouthwatering breakfast is awaiting you - from homemade Granola to freshly squeezed orange juice and from deliciously prepared eggs to wonderful fruit salads.
Peter is very helpful in providing information about the sights in and around Wilderness, the restaurant options etc. Alternatively, if you're feeling lazy and want to chill out, you can do this on the spacious terrace with swimming pool in which you can float around and enjoy the beautiful views.
Highly recommended. When we're back in South Africa and in the area of Wilderness, we will definitely return to Phoenix Guesthouse.
We booked The White Room for 2 nights and stayed for 5.....this place is truly amazing. Peter has lovingly refurbished the property to the highest standard, you need to see it to believe it.
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by both Peter and his beautiful Dalmatian Milly. There are 3 rooms all very different but one equally as impressive as the other. The White Room has spectacular views overlooking the ocean - the house is predominantly glass and we were able to sleep with the windows open looking out at the stars and listening to the waves crashing against the rocks, very peaceful. We made full use of the massage chair in the room after a days walking......awesome.
Wilderness is very close to George, Knysna and not so far from Oudtshoorn so is a perfect base to explore these areas. The pool has 2 large inflatable chairs where I spent most of my afternoon floating around,pure bliss. The breakfasts are cooked to order and you are given a comprehensive list to choose from, which you place on your door for the following morning - you'll struggle to find anything missing and won't need to eat for the rest of the day!!
As we stayed for more than 3 nights, Peter cooked us a 3 course meal (he trained as a chef in London), which was beautiful. There are lots of restaurants within close proximity and Peter is happy to recommend and make reservations for you.
We will definitely return to Phoenix and is a must if you are touring the Garden Route..5 star luxury with 5 star hospitality......thanks Peter and Milly for a truly memorable stay.