I just want to clear that we were never "cheated" by the owner. Whatever cons I am mentioning here were told by the owner in advance but we didn't research enough or asked enough questions to be mad about our experience.
1. Do not book the non-AC single room at 3rd floor of the hostel if you are two or more people. Those room were very small and were only fit for a single person. They had a very small fan and no cupboards to keep luggage. The washrooms were on sharing basis with an average of 1 washroom shared among 3 rooms. But the price was also 10 USD. So you get what you pay for.
As soon as we entered the room, we realized we could not stay there even though it was December and the weather was nice (at least not too hot). We asked Vutha if he has any other room where he can accommodate us and he provided us with 2 beds in the dormitory with aircon at no extra cost.
2. We hired a motorbike from Vutha for a day for 15 USD. The motorbike was not very good and it probably had some issues as we could never ride it at speeds faster than 30KM/h. Further, as we later realized when we were buying sim cards from a shop which also rented motorbikes, 15 USD was too much for renting a motorbike for a day.
But Vutha had made it clear beforehand that this would be the price. It's our bad we did not do enough research.
3. There was always some kind of noise coming from the neighborhood. May be there is a poultry farm in the neighbourhood. Even in night, we could constantly hear clucking and often it was too disturbing.
4. The washrooms could use a little maintenance.
1. The number one advantage is the location. It is close to pub street in a way that you can reach there by walking not more than a mile. But it is also far enough such that you do not get disturbed by all the partying going on there. Since all the good restaurants and shops are near pub street, you can access everything without any need for a mode of transportation.
2. The dormitory area was very clean and people occupying the beds were very friendly. We made a couple of good friends there.
3, Vutha was very supportive about all the queries we had. He also kept the hostel gates open late in night for us. There were absolutely no restrictions. His wife and daughter were also very cheerful and his son was a delight.
Overall, if we had researched better, it would have been a flawless stay. I would still give the place 4 stars because there was no shortcomings from Vutha's side. May be some miscommunication.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.