Mohammed has built a beautiful get away on the West Bank. The bed is very comfortable, the room is clean and every member of the staff is polite, outgoing and first class. Each one really cares about the guests. The food is delicious, the staff is friendly. Why would you want to stay anywhere else? thank you all for your outstanding hospitality!
The ingredients are all there, and if this was a youth hostel it would have been great. However, for a mid-priced hotel, it lacked professionalism at times. A shame, as the staff and owner clearly take great pride.
What went well:
• Beautiful buildings, grounds, garden and pool, in which the staff clearly take pride and pains to upkeep.
• Friendly staff very keen to make your stay enjoyable.
• Clean room, bathroom, bed linen and towels (shout out to Mustafa for this).
• Adequate breakfast.
Even better if:
• The shower always worked (had to ask for the shower head to be replaced on first morning, and we only managed a hot shower once, it was otherwise lukewarm-to-cold).
• Staff wore a uniform (it needn’t be fancy, but as it is there are a lot of local young men in faded jeans and hoodies seemingly generally hanging around without much to do - it’s not until after a day or so that you realise they’re actually staff, and we initially found the presence of semi-idle young men loitering in the communal spaces somewhat intimidating).
• Younger male staff didn’t stare at the guests (again, it was unpleasant, and it deterred my fiancée from using the swimming pool in a bikini).
• Breakfast cleanliness generally improved (the crockery and cutlery was often a little dirty, and the tables were never wiped down more than once a morning).
• Price was discounted by about a third (I could forgive the above if this were a hostel: for a hostel, you’d love the laid back atmosphere and the fact that the owner was trying to give the local young men some form of employment. But for a not-inexpensive hotel this unprofessionalism was at times grating).
I could not recommend more the charming Sherazade Hotel that felt like home and refreshing holiday for one week.
This is a great safe place for solo women traveller or groups. The hotel can arrange the pickup service from Luxor East Bank bus station or the airport.
My room was comfortable and very unique interior that I loved. Also, I enjoyed having a walk after tours on my own around and even got invited for a tea by a local kind woman (we couldn't speak the same language but it was still such an enjoyable experience).
I have to say again many many thanks to the hotel manager Nubi, who is kind and professional with helping and assisting with anything you need during your stay.
I mostly ate at the hotel delicious vegetarian meals. The hotel also has incredible rooftop from which you see Luxor temple on the East side of the river Nile and beautiful sunrise with air-balloons on the desert/ Valley of the Kings landscape. The rooftop and a Rotonda garden area are great quiet spaces for relaxing, reading, meditation or yoga. There's a good swimming pool and relaxing chairs too.
Can't wait to be back!
The staff were very cooperative and tried their best to fulfil every wish, including carrying an extra fan to the outdoor dining area to help ward off the flies. They offered another room at no charge when the aircon in our room was struggling in the heat. When we had a flat tire on the way to the airport, the driver swiftly arranged another van to take us to the airport on time. Never heard a "no" from the staff. The swimming pool was clean and inviting, fun to relax after a hard day of touring.
The aircon in the room was just not adequate. A split a.c. which was old & tired and could not cool the room. You had to sleep directly under the draft to be able to sleep. No toiletries in the room. Musty smell in the bath. No fridge in the room, nor any facilities to make yourself a cup of coffee or tea. No real room service 3 of us had a mild diarrhoea after the food - we ate exclusively at the hotel. The food was tasty and freshly prepared, but ... still. Too many flies around the dining area. Its quiet and peaceful but the surrounding area is run down, not in the best location, and quite a distance from the East bank if you are driving. To be fair, we stayed end of may, so the hotel was probably not at its best.
This was the first time I stayed at the hotel, three weeks together with my eight-year old son. The hotel had everything we expected, the room was clean and tidy, cleaning was offered every morning. We especially asked for, and were given, a fridge in our room, which was very convenient as the weather started to get hot.
I did not try their restaurant so I cannot judge the quality of the food. The architecture and atmosphere are lovely and the area is really quiet and relaxing. The staff were discrete and kept a surprisingly low profile. The best thing with the hotel though was the pool area, well maintained and clean. Much appreciated by my son.
Probably the best hotel in the area in that price range!