Top Attractions in Leon
What travelers are saying
- We had a great time enjoying the beautiful views! The hike up is fairly easy and takes about +/- 30 minutes. Coming down is much quicker;)Written 30 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Having seen several YT videos about this beautiful church, I visited it as soon as I checked in at my hotel that is located near by. It is a huge, beautiful, white church facing the Parque Central.
It has beautiful statues of Mary, paintings in one of the side rooms, tabernacle, statue of Jesus Christ, etc. Located outside this church are statues of lions, Parque Central, and Central Market.
Highly recommended to visit it. Tour also the roof to have a bird’s eyeview of the city of Leon.Written 10 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- An extensive eclectic mix of art from early European to contemporary International and local artists.
The elegant, cool building with shady courtyard and lush vegetation is a great place to sit and think.
The vivid pop art and the video installation of the revolution cover a vast array of styles and messages.
The room stewards are friendly and helpful.Written 22 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We came here for the afternoon. You can go swimming here and we swam just out the front of Playa Roca to the right of the rocks. The swell was pretty big when we were there with 5-6ft waves. It looked perfect for experienced surfers but a little tough for swimmers. The stretch of beach is pretty though and makes for idyllic sunsets.Written 16 March 2020
- Excellent food and excellent service very friendly would definitely recommend 😋when in murfreesboro ArkWritten 31 August 2020
- We arrived in time to take to the roof without realising just what we were in for. It is made of corrugated iron and is very rusty and not well bolted down. HOWEVER, there was a clear set of arrows to follow and the guide was pointing out all the vantage points that were had during the revolution. When you return to terra firma, there is an interesting section at the beginning of the museum which we should have seen first. The courtyard has some good fresco style paintings of the history of the revolution. The guide spoke very good English and is a veteran of that time (1980's)Written 15 March 2020
- Great setting in an old prison where you can learn about the revolution and the use of the prison from 1921-1979. You also learn about the myths and legends of whole of Nicaragua.Written 2 August 2019
- People who know little about history and think that all ruins must be spectacular like Pompeii or the great Mayan cities should not come to Leon Viejo. Although it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site it is not in any way overwhelming, in fact the opposite. The reason its famous is because it does preserve the best ruins of a Spanish colonial city from the 16th century after it was abandoned in 1610 and then covered by layers of ash from nearby Momotombo volcano. Unlike Pompeii very little of Leon Viejo has been excavated and much of what you see is just the outlines of the buildings, not complete reconstructions.
However, if you use your imagination you can picture what life was like here almost 500 years ago. There is an excellent model of what the place looked like before it was abandoned. Chances are you might be the only people on the site which is quiet and sees very few visitors. For birders it is a great place to find some of the more spectacular Nicaraguan species like mot mots and trogons.
The views of Momotombo from atop the old citadel are also worth coming here to see as well as the monument to the Indigenous people.
So expect to be disappointed at first, but the more time you spend here the better you'll like it.Written 19 March 2020
- I love this ranch and the owners. They were so kind, and gave us a warm Nicaragua greeting. It is gorgeous, and I felt so at peace when here. The food was wonderful, and the staff was super friendly. You will not regret coming here!Written 28 October 2017
- Great spot to enjoy a great magical view. The ruins of Leon viejo are very close. While visiting the ruins you can learn about the colonial timesWritten 14 September 2022
- Poneloya is a beach located only 20km from the colonial city of León. You can enjoy nice views of the ocean and delicious fresh fish. You have to be careful with the waves which can be tough on high tide!Written 14 October 2018
- This museo former house of Nicaragua’s most famous poet is free of charge recommend donation. Very pleasing cool spot in bustling Leon. Neat to see inside a home of that time with some period furniture. Very nice display- all spanish. Worth the trip for history, literature, architecture nerds. Coffee shop Libeula next door is really good.Written 30 December 2017
- What diffrentiates this church from the other churches in Leon are the 3 men hanging up in the cross at the entrance of this church. One of this men is Jesus Christ, hanging up on the cross between two sinful men. This theme of crosses is evident in other areas inside.
The color of the facades is also a distinctive feature. The middle part is painted white, the other 2 side areas are painted red.
Near this church is a small park where some locals were having a meeting during my visit.
Attractions near by: Central Market and Cathedral of LeonWritten 10 December 2022
- Nice church in center of Leon. Only 300 meters from Leon cathedral. I couldn’t go inside because it was closed. Nice colors and architectureWritten 26 January 2022
- I took a Camapanero or a bicycle with side car to visit this church. It’s a little bit far from the Parque Central.
The church is located in front of a small park with rides and small stalls selling foods. I visited it in the morning so they were still closed.
Insides are several beautiful altars that have gold-plated sidings. There are also several statues of saints inside. I took several pictures of these areas plus its beautiful wooden ceilings.Written 12 December 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Leon
- The most popular things to do in Leon with kids according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all kid friendly things to do in Leon on Tripadvisor
Leon Attractions Information
|Local Time||Sunday 11:12 PM|