Popular things to do
- Historical Tours
- Walking Tours
- Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Top Picks
- Private & Custom Tours
- Tours & Sightseeing
- Likely to Sell Out
- Day Cruises
- Day Trips & Excursions
- Specialty Museums
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Art Galleries
- Food, Wine & Nightlife
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Water Sports
Top Attractions in Portland
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Good local brew options available. There are tailgating games available and lots of nice outdoor seating for all sizes of groups. There is a food truck on sight and other breweries in the area too. Friendly staff working who were helpful with suggestions if needed.Written 24 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- AJ was an incredible tour guide. She knows Portland, Maine like the back of her hand. She went above and beyond and you can’t help but feed off her energy, it is contagious.Written 5 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- An important tip - the museum is free on Fridays from 4-8. In August of 2022 I saw a terrific exhibit of Katherine Bradford's work; she is an artist I was not familiar with. I loved the work on view. The short video of the artist speaking about her work was informative and interesting. Artists are often unintelligible when they talk about their work. That was not the case for Bradford. The QR codes by some pictures had helpful material. I loved the colors Bradford used and the composition of her paintings. An extra treat this past Friday was a 1-hour concert by the Bach Virtuosi. I didn't find the rest of the museum exciting, but the special exhibitions seem to be, in fact, special.
Six years ago I saw a terrific exhibit at this museum of O’Keeffe, Stettheimer, Torr, Zorach: Women Modernists in New York. From what I can see of their past exhibitions, they are uniformly interesting and worthwhile.Written 5 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Don’t miss this gem! Wonderful step back in time—your a block away from Becky’s Dinner— another don’t miss place to eat.
Tour was about 45 minutes very informative.Written 3 August 2022
- These guys no how to run a "transport" business! Great back and forth to local islands (esp Peaks) and ready for next trip in 2023!Written 6 August 2022
- It’s July, warm and a beautiful sight to see. You can drive or bike here. Beautiful ocean views of sale boats and yachts and lighthouse! When in Portland, it’s a must see.Written 16 July 2022
- Great history of the town and the man who loved it! Views were spectacular. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and even took time at the top to discuss great food options around town!Written 17 July 2022
- Commercial street has many many restuarants, bars, stores and many wharfs. There is something for everyone. Has the Casco Bay ferries and whale watching and so much more.Written 13 August 2022
- Fun day with the kids. Rent the golf carts to explore! The island is small but grab ice cream and check out the beautiful scenery.Written 13 August 2022
- Great family fun!
We had the all-you-can-eat seats in 502. The seats are sturdy and overlook right field. Burgers, hotdogs, bbq chicken, & sides are included for 2 hours. There are a variety of seat options though. Concessions are reasonable.
The sun is harsh as there is no shade, but thankfully a cloud helped a little. Wear sunscreen and a hat.
The restrooms are located in the main area so it can be a good walk.Written 2 July 2022
- You think a world record collection of umbrella covers would be boring? I challenge you to take the 5min or more to view this collection. And even if you are not interested in the covers the woman is the real “attraction” she is passionate to say the least and will even sing her theme song while she plays the accordion for you. As you get off the ferry go up to the corner and turn left it’s about 3 buildings down on the left.Written 10 July 2022
- Located on a side street off of commerical street in Portland ME. Love the smell of fresh seafood. Plenty of variety and at a fair price. Oyster, clams, lobster and plenty of fresh fish. A must stop and highly recommended. Limited parking.Written 1 August 2022
- Good beer- we each had a flight and it was fun to try from their extensive beer list. good service but it was so cold and dark we had to leave. Super cute gift shopWritten 30 June 2022
- We visited on an cloudy Wednesday morning after passing by a few times. Street parking was relatively easy to find that early in the day as well. After a brief intro from the conductor we were on our way. Nice and scenic ride but we moved much slower than expected (not necessarily a bad thing). After a short ride along the promenade we stopped at the end of the tracks to take in the views and for passengers to get a good look at the engine and take turns blowing the whistle. Great way to spend some time along the Promenade but wish it was a little longer.Written 20 July 2021
- Deciding on a venue for your wedding is no small task. From the first contact with the 5th Maine, it was nothing but smooth sailing. Gail and her entire team made the planning, logistics, and execution of our vision absolutely seamless. Extremely affordable, wonderfully accessible facilities, and oh my god THE VIEW! Being Portland residents, and both born and raised in Maine, this was the quintessential Maine Coast wedding venue we could only have dreamed of. Filled with history, it is the absolute perfect place for you to celebrate your nuptials, or enjoy the wonderful museum on your day trip to Peaks. The gardens are perfectly manicured, and believe it or not, we didn’t pay extra for the monarch butterflies filling the garden during our ceremony. If I could give this place, and all it’s staff 100 stars, I would! Thanks again for making our day PERFECT.Written 13 September 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Portland
- The best day trips from Portland according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Best of Maine Private Autumn Boutique Full Day Tour
- 5 Lighthouse Bike Tour with XL Lobster Roll
- Salem, Mass and Kennebunkport Private VIP Day Trip From Portland