What travelers are saying
- The tour guide Dennis did a great job of explaining the distillation process and other facts. My wife and I enjoyed the tour!Written 18 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- P.T. Is a great entertainer. He is at ease in front of the audience doing close up magic. If you’re looking for a good time and want to see someone really good at their craft, then you need to attend P.T. Murphy’s show. But be sure to book early. It’s a very popular attraction and sells out quickly.
Thanks for entertaining me and my family P.T.!Written 18 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great local (and national) history stop. Getting to, and parking by, the home is quite easy. We happened to arrive just as a tour was beginning. The tour is informative and seeing the home is a must-see if you are interested in presidential history. Our tour was about 30 min, including the self-guided viewing of the second floor bedrooms. Note: you will need to be able to go up one set of stairs and down the other to see the second floor where the Grant's bedrooms are. This being an old home the stairs are narrower/shallower and steeper than modern staircases. They are carpeted. If the stairs are a no-go for you it is still worth seeing the first floor living rooms, dining, and kitchen. Almost all of the furniture and most furnishings are original. There is a small exhibit and public restrooms located just outside the back/kitchen door of the home. (Bathrooms were clean, which I always appreciate!) Be sure to take a stroll around the outside of the home and see the statues. Landscaping in "Julia's Garden" could definitely use some work but I'm sure that's on their list of many things to do. (Wonderful opportunity for any local landscapers looking to donate their time.) I bet the views from the home are wonderful when the trees change color in the fall.Written 26 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The trolley tour is a great way to begin a visit to Galena. You will get a nice overview of the history of the town, plus find out where some of the best historic sites are to visit. The trolleys have comfortable seating and our driver was entertaining and very pleasant.Written 19 September 2023
- What a wonderful tour! Our tour guide Nancy was so passionate and knowledgeable about the Washburne family and Galena history.Written 17 June 2023
- The tour was brief but I'm fine with that. I liked the building and prefer a structure like this which isn't ornate in any way. Kind of basic but gives a good idea of how hard life was back in the day.Written 9 August 2023
- Photography was stunning, well worth a stop in and purchase. Had the opportunity to meet the artist himself. I’m beaming to see his success and to experience the representation he provides. Thank you Geoffrey! I hope we meet again!Written 9 September 2023
- Galena Cellars has a wine shop/restaurant in downtown Galena, but the vineyard is where it’s at! Such a pretty setting and peaceful. The tasting room is huge and gorgeous. $8 will get you a tasting of 6 wines. Something for every pallet! They also sell wine by the glass, wine slushies, snacks, tshirts, and wine accessories. Indoor and outdoor seating. Loved it!Written 27 August 2023
- We stopped in because an employee in a shop on Main Street in Galena recommended it for the view. We had a cocktail and sat in the restaurant overlooking the Mississippi River.
Beautiful view and very relaxing.
Wait staff nice and efficient.Written 24 April 2023
- Very nice walking park with all kinds of great historical things. It’s a gorgeous walk over a bridge and the view of Galena is beautiful.Written 17 May 2023
- This was so much fun! The goats were really sweet, and the yoga was accessible while also having opportunities to challenge yourself if you want. If I ever come back to Galena I’m DEFINITELY doing this again!Written 28 July 2023
- Disclaimer: this review is based on the haunted tour, I did not actually visit the indoor part, instead we just visited the back stairs where the last moments of Mary Ann Millers life was spent. I would highly recommend taking the moment to walk down and hold space for the tragic death of this young woman.Written 4 June 2023
- Beautiful waterfalls with a nice viewing platform area. Great place for a quick stop to get out stretch your legs for a few moments.Written 31 July 2022
- Stopped by on our way out of town. We enjoyed the sculptures and the tongue-in-cheek names. The park was free. The area was nicely shaded, so we were able to enjoy on it on a hot summer day.Written 16 July 2023
- We were driving past on the way from Chestnut Mountain Resort and decided to stop. It is free, interesting and has a beautiful view. There was some information about the aera, but I wish they would have had more explaining the sun dial in the middle and some of the area views. Definitely worth stopping at if you are nearby but I don't know if I would make a special trip.Written 18 August 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Galena
Galena Attractions Information