Popular things to do
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Where do I start?
My husband and our 19-month-old son visited the aquarium while staying in Monterey.
The Monterey Bay aquarium is amazing interactive space that showcases Marine Life in a thoughtful way that caters for all ages.
Not only did my son thoroughly enjoy himself my husband and I had an awesome experience. That we will not forget.
If we return to Monterey from NZ, we will definitely make the time to visit the Aquarium again.
Highly recommend you make a visit to the aquarium no matter your age.Written 19 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a very beautiful drive with plenty of stops to view the scenery or go for a walk or a swim in the (cold) ocean. The Lone Cypress is one of those "must stop and take a picture" spots. I'd also recommend stopping at the gift shop area, walking to and through the The Lodge and taking a walk on the sidewalk near the golf course and ocean. It is amazingly beautiful.Written 28 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Always a great time at this park. Its like heaven for the kids since its such a large park with so many different activities. Go here almost every year!Written 2 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We love the bay and the various sea life beach and sounds. What a gem on the california coastline. Best place to relax and has diverse things to see and do on land and especially on sea.
Located near pebble bch and carmel by the sea and the new growing seaside town. We are not a fan tje trinket gift shops. And we seek more rnr. Note some historic spots to see too!. So dig in and find what you like.
Plan ahead for a few day stay
!!Written 7 September 2023
- We walked for miles and were surprised that the severe winter did not do more damage to the trails. We saw many sea lions a couple of sea otters and some baby seal puptsWritten 16 April 2023
- Its a touristy area but retains some authenticity in its buildings and is an attractive street.
Loved the Fish Hopper restaurant and we enjoyed Treasure Ride. Of course the aquarium is the big attraction but you might spot sea life anyway, look out for sea otters and sea lions wherever you get an outlook over the bay.Written 6 September 2023
- Monterey's Old Fisherman's Wharf is a fun place to walk and you should check it out when visiting. It's a good destination and a nice walk from Cannery Row. Be sure to look for harbor seals, pelicans, and other native sea life as you're making the walk. The wharf itself has places to eat, ice cream, and shops. It's not very big and you can see it certainly less than an hour. Be aware that it's very touristy, but fun to check out.Written 3 July 2023
- Nice quiet park with lots of easy trails, there were no envelopes provided to pay for entrance, there was a post with a slot where people were dropping cash/donations.
The park was recently reopened on August not sure why it was closed but I think because all the rain we had a few months ago….
A few benches along some trails where you take a break if needed with lots of shade. There are tables for a picnic, bathrooms are clean, plenty of parking.
Overall great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of Monterey.Written 10 September 2023
- The staff was so helpful and the atmosphere and surroundings were so wonderful! They talked us through what we were tasting and made sure we were relaxed and enjoyed ourselves. It’s a MUST TRY!Written 5 August 2023
- The place has a phenomenal view and the houses are structured away from wind. They had plenty of heaters outside and the service, food and ambiance were excellent. Everything went off without a hitch. Highly recommmendedWritten 16 April 2023
- A lot of books and other museum items from the days California was establishing its own State constitution. Monterey was the capital of California at one time.Written 7 October 2022
- Coast Guard Pier is a great place to see MANY sea lions and otters. The otters play in the kelp fields just offshore and the sea lions are just everywhere. Drawback: the smell. My guess is sea lion poo. Bad. Be prepared. PLEASE NOTE: Parking lot 21 seems like a fantastic deal (around $4 for a couple of hours), but BEWARE....if you go over your time, you be HEAVILY fined (got a ticket for $48 for 6 minutes over!)!! We forgot to get our ticket out of our rental and were fined an additional $25 for being late paying it. This cast a very negative light on the City of Monterey, but that's a discussion for another time.Written 5 September 2023
- I truly cannot understand some of the poor reviews this lovely little museum has! Can no one appreciate art from artists who are not world famous?
I thoroughly enjoyed my visit here. The museum, while small, had 4 exhibitions, each dedicated to a different group of artists and medium. As a note, there were some big names, Ansel Adams being one (contrary to the review that they do not have any on display), but I really loved seeing some fantastic local art since I think you would not have the easiest time finding these works outside of Monterey.
Local museums are keeping their community alive. This is not MoMA, so get over it and enjoy some art from interesting people!Written 18 August 2023
- San Carlos Cathedral in Monterey is possibly the oldest stone building in California. Still serves as the basilica for the Monterey Diocese of the Catholic Church. Attended Mass.
Its a long narrow building. No overwhelming artifacts. Pews on each side of the aisle hold three to four people in tight somewhat uncomfortable spaces. Kneelers are not padded well and leg room is extremely limited. But you are not there for comfort.
The reason to visit is either historical and/or religious. The Cathedral meets both of those objectivesWritten 3 May 2023
- On Alvarado street
We happened upon this great farmers market. And discovered flowers baked goods vegetables fruit and great stores open for business.
Grab some street food.Written 27 October 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Monterey
- The best day trips from Monterey according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Monterey, Carmel and 17-Mile Drive - Full Day Tour from San Francisco
- Big Sur McWay Falls California Coast One Day from Monterey Carmel
- BEST 17-Mile Drive, Carmel and Monterey Day Trip from San Francisco
- Monterey & Carmel Explorer
- Big Sur Monterey California Coast McWay Falls from San Jose
Monterey Attractions Information