Eco Tours • Nature & Wildlife Tours
- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
What travelers are saying
- These guys get ALL the stars! Really a trip of a life time! Our pilot Joe was so good! This is a must do trip! The scenery is so beautiful. The bears are amazing. This company has the experience dialed in.Written 15 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I have to confess something, dear readers: Yog-Sothoth is a nervous flyer. I don't even like big planes, and during another part of this Alaska adventure I chickened out of a Denali flight seeing tour. That being said, the folks at Emerald Air Service put me completely at my ease and I even enjoyed the +/- one hour flight from Homer to Katmai National Park. (My pilot friends all assure me that the DeHavilland Otter is an amazing airplane...and anyway it can land on the water! In fact it did so twice during our outing!)
The beauty of Hallo Bay -- like a lot of the rest of Alaska -- is mind-blowing and defies description and photographs. We spent the day hiking the tidal flats and got super close to multiple bears, who were just doing their thing. Our guide Lance was a font of knowledge and put us at our ease.
This is not an inexpensive trip but I'll remember it for the rest of my life. One of the top travel experiences I've ever had.Written 4 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This trip was the highlight of my year. They were spectacular; the guides and the staff were beyond friendly and knowledgeable, and we felt safe and well cared-for every minute of the trip. We chose a helicopter ride in May, which was before the busy season, and it allowed the bears to come so close and we really enjoyed the scenery and the wildlife. The photos I got were spectacular, and the bears were stunning, including the mama bears and their cubs.
The helicopter safari really lets you get to places in Lake Clark you would never be able to reach otherwise, and for a while we sat on a rock outcrop surrounded by mountains and bears, and it felt like we were the only people in the universe. It was beyond description: sublime.
We will definitely come back, and I have raved about this trip every day for the last 6 months.Written 6 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- You can rely on Smokey Bay Air to be honest with you regarding bear viewing opportunities. We had booked our trip months in advance, but because of a poor salmon run the bears had moved on. They refunded us our deposit without even having to ask, and recommended us other great things to do in the area. Also, if there were bears but it was too rainy to go, they would try to reschedule us for another day or give our deposit back, our choice.Written 22 September 2022
- Absolutely wonderful experience! First time to Alaska for our family with teenagers. Martin gave us a scenic flight tour of the mountains, landed on a beach, and we spent hours up close and personal with 3 young bears romping and playing in the meadow and digging clams at low tide. Then a mother and her cub came down the beach to go clamming, and another single female bear as well. Martin was an excellent pilot and was very experienced interacting with the bears. He supplied hip wading boots to keep dry. He also took exceptional photos of the bears and our family with the bears. Highly recommend our tour guide - he's exceptional.Written 13 December 2022
- We spent a great end-of-the-season day viewing the bears at Brooks Falls on our trip with Bald Mt. Air. Ricky, the pilot, was extremely safety conscious and provided a great overview on what to expect. The flight each way is about 1.5 hours. After arriving, visitors must first do a ranger orientation so that proper procedures around the bears is maintained, and then people are free to explore. There are 2 separate viewing platforms, and there were many bears at both locations. It was a unique experience to see the bears in their natural environment. Since we were lucky and had clear weather, at the end of the day, Ricky headed home going over the mountains for some breath-taking views - almost as enjoyable as viewing the bears. All in all it was a great day. Highly recommended!Written 16 September 2022
- I recently flew with Beryl Air for a day trip out to Brooks Falls. I am a resident Alaskan use to spectacular scenery and wildlife, and still this experience was stunning. Getting to see the area and ecosystem around Katmai and the Alaska Peninsula was amazing on the flight both directions, and being among the seasonally large aggregations of coastal brown bears at the falls was truly extraordinary.
Britney was a fantastic pilot, especially considering we didn’t have perfect weather. She was a great communicator, knowledgeable, passionate about what she does, and made the day easy and fun.
If in the Homer area, I can’t recommend Beryl Air and this experience enough.Written 19 September 2022
- I usually don't write review comments. But the bear viewing at Brooks Falls in Katmai that Andrei took us was so great that I feel I need to write something. We wanted to see bears in Katmai but were a little concerned to take a float plane (and walk to viewing platforms ourselves). So we booked a boat trip to Lake Clark. The trip was cancelled due to high wind and Andrei was referred to us. Not only he helped every step of the way, his flying is super safe and smooth, he also went above and beyond to walk us to the viewing platforms. We were so glad we made the trip, it become one of our best memories for Alaska.Written 29 August 2022
- A stroke of good fortune and persistence brought me to Beluga Air and lead to an Incredible Grizzly Bear Adventure!! Our original flight had been cancelled as a result of weather and after calling many places the staff at Beluga came through.. Angela was absolutely lovely with advising me on my brothers ability to do the physical aspect of the trip; After much assurance she actually gave us the number of the guide,Dave .My brother spoke with Dave and felt really supported and capable.. The next day we were part of an adventure!! The float plane was amazing and Wes, the pilot was hysterical.. With a very small group we flew to Katmai National Park and walked the Tundra with the grizzly bears.. Dave was so adept as a guide that each and all of us felt safe and secure as he seemed to know exactly how and when the bears would move, hunt, or pop up!!.. Both Dave and Wes told stories, educated us and guided the photographers in the group to the ideal shots!! The level of fun and professionalism was perfect...If you're going to Homer Alaska and you desire the most perfect balance between fun and adventure call Beluga Air and go on their Bear Trip to Katmai.. You will make lasting memories and take great photos...Written 1 September 2022
- I booked the Current Lady for the day and Captain Faith and deckhand Natalie rocked..I felt they went above and beyond my expectations anyway...in fact the entire operation including the handling of the fish afterwards was seamless..I thought I was going to spend another hour messing with the fish and they just handled it and my son and I went to eat and reminisceWritten 28 August 2022
- Our bear flight was canceled due to in-climate weather , so the owner took us to see the glaciers. The flight was outstanding and our pilot was super informative about the sights. He turned what could have been a very disappointing day into a treasure. Highly recommend!Written 2 July 2021
- Had a great day on the Wilderness Explorer with Jamie and Cody! We had the whole family (ages 7 to 65) on a private charter and were able to head way out to the big halibut grounds. The first part of the day was a little slow on the catch, but the we pulled in 450 lbs. of fish in the afternoon. We had 100 and 80 pounders on at the same time! We thought we were done and were taking pictures when we got another 40 pounder on the line. Jamie was great and kept us out as long as we needed to get our fish! Some charters seem like they're on a timeline and have to get in whether you're catching or not and these guys weren't that way at all. The boat is beautiful and an Awesome ride!!Written 22 August 2022
- There are so many companies who offer bear viewing in Alaska, it's difficult to choose. Other travelers recommend us Bearfoot Tours. Luke was our pilot and our guide. We saw a mama bear and her two babies, plus two big males. We felt safe. We were in good hands. Great guy. Great price. You have to go!Written 12 December 2022
- What an adventure. I liked this company so much I traveled with them to 3 different locations to see bears. Brooks Falls, Chinitna Bay and Hallo Bay. From being picked up in their VIP SUVs, to their nice comfy office to their amazing planes I highly recommend them. They have one of the best fleets of planes in Homer. The turbine Beaver MkIII on 35inch tires is hands down the coolest plane on the whole peninsula.
You'll get closer to Brown Bears than you'd ever imagine you would. On top of everything their pilots were the best I've ever had the pleasure to meet.
Highly recommend.Written 17 January 2023
- We went on a bear viewing trip out of Homer and it was amazing. We met in the office prior to the flight and were fitted with hip waiters and given a safety briefing. The flight there and back was half of the adventure and was truly beautiful with great views out both sides of the plane. Our guide and pilot was Derick and he was great. Landing on the beach was so cool. He made it look so easy, clearly very experienced. We started to see bears from the air before we landed. Once we landed he gave us clear instructions and we were off. We saw several bears and got great photos. The highlight was seeing a mother with 3 cubs. We watched them for a long time. We never felt in danger and were in aw of the animals and the amazing surroundings. A very serene experience like no other!! I highly recommend this tour and would do it again. Thanks Derick and the rest of the staff for an incredible tour!!Written 22 July 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Homer