Top Attractions in Cahuita
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Totally recommend spending some time in Cahuita National Park. Tons of treasures to be seen - plants, animals, the beach... Recommend hiring a guide to show you around, without ours we would not have seen nearly as much wildlife.Written 26 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This was a wonderful private tour for our family!! Chris was excellent at keeping us safe and catching some great photos! I would highly recommend this tour as it is much more than cool tarantulas!Written 30 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I loved everything about this excursion! First we took a comfortable tour bus from the port to the sloth sanctuary. From there our large group was separated into three smaller groups. Our group went on the canoe trip first (which was good as the weather was cooler earlier). The canoe trip was an amazing opportunity to experience the rainforest (the sloth's natural habitat) up close and personal. There were howler monkeys trekking through the trees and the forest itself is beautiful and lush. Our canoe guide did not speak English, but was attentive to be sure we saw all of the wildlife that was in sight. The beauty of the rainforest did not need any interpretation.
Next our group entered one of two rooms where visitors get to meet the sloths. In this room we learned about the sloths living at the sanctuary and got to meet a few of the sanctuary's life-long residents (these cannot be released into the wild for a variety of reasons). We could easily see the sloths and the animals were active and delightful. Entering the next room, we were introduced to more life-long sloth residents and learned the differences between the two and three "fingered" sloths. They were feeding these sloths their lunch, so we got to see them busy noshing on their specialized diets.
After meeting the sloths we had a little time to shop at the sloth store (not a big variety, but hey it all benefits the sloths!).
You will not get to touch or hold a sloth on this tour. These are wild animals who have natural defense mechanisms that would be highly unpleasant for visitors to the sanctuary.
This sanctuary cares for over 160 sloths with most slated for return to the wild. There are longer, more in depth tours available if you are visiting independently (not on the cruise tour). I highly recommend this tour for folks who love sloths and would like to see them up close and personal.Written 20 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Conveniently located, people come here to relax, or collect a new experience from several options on beach or water.Written 21 January 2023
- Lovely natural park with wildlife like monkeys, sloths, frogs and turtles in Cahuita Costa Rica. Everywhere you look beautiful natural setting and you never know what you will see.Written 7 February 2020
- From meeting me off the bus, to finding a taxi to get me home, Ramon took care of everything.
I couldn't hide my excitement at seeing my first sloth up close (and he was pretty active) within 5 minutes of entering the path.
Ramon showed me monkies, butterflys, even a big snake and some bats that were hidden in a tree hollow! It was utterly wonderful.
He is extreemly knowledgable and was able to tell me all about the poisionous plants and their remedies.
I recommend getting there early, as we didn't have time to make it all the way to the point. Wear shoes that can get muddy and wet, as you wade through a few creeks and bring your swim wear, the beach is stunning.
Cannot recommend Ramon enough. Thanks for a great time.Written 4 June 2021
- My boyfriend and I visited and played golf here last week. We did not book and simply turned up. It was super fun and a welcome break from beach and jungle life! For a couple of dollars you have 10 rounds of mini golf through a lovely garden and a drink is also included. The owner was super friendly and engaging and offered us a few recommendations of places to go. Whatever age, group or couple or solo, you’d have a great time here!Written 11 May 2019
- Our tour at the Parke National de Cahuita with Manuel was amazing! He knows so much about the local wildlife, plants ans ecosystem. We would have missed all the great things to see without him. And with his telescope we can actually see animals we would not have been able to see with the naked eye. We learned a lot. We highly recommend him as a guide. Pura Vida!Written 1 February 2023
- We travelled 15 days around Costa Rica with biology students of the University of applied science of Amsterdam with David Geurds for the 6th time. David specialises in trips off (and on if you like) the beaten path. His original and creative approach helps avoid the crowds and aids to see more in a relaxed, quiet and private way to meet the true Costa Rica. His keen eye and knowledge lets you see and learn many things biological and cultural. His pleasant personality brings you in close contact with many animal and plant species, organic farming and natives of Costa Rica in whome's villages you can experience their life style and medicine. If you want something special? Just ask David. Highly recommended.Written 29 January 2023
- We had a great tour guide, Alan, in Cahuita National
Park. We had some storms so we couldn’t go snorkeling, but today plan to go tour the waterfalls and chocolate farms.Written 11 October 2022
- Carlos is a super nice guy, very passionate about everything that crawls and flies in the jungle. Absolutely fascinating to follow himWritten 8 January 2023
- We booked a tour with Ludrick for the Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge after he met us on an unguided hike through Cahuita National Park, guessed correctly that we were birders, and listed all the birds he'd seen in the park that day that we hadn't seen at all.
Ludrick was very easy to coordinate with, even when we needed to reschedule after I twisted my ankle (not while on a tour with him!) He made sure to accommodate for my slight injury during the hike, even holding my hand on the more slippery and steep parts. Ludrick led us off the beaten path and onto smaller, more adventurous trails that we would not have attempted without a guide. With his telescope he showed identified and provided interesting details on so many things we never would have seen, including a number of birds, iguanas, frogs, sloths, monkeys, two types of snakes and a tarantula wasp. As we departed the park we realized he'd timed the tour very well so that we avoided the huge crowds that arrived later in the morning. He topped off the tour with a treat of delicious mangoes.
Throughout it all Ludrick was friendly, informative, funny and extremely knowledgeable, both about the nature surrounding us and the history and cultures of the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. I only wish we'd been able to take more tours with Green Cahuita; we'll definitely be contacting them on our next trip to Costa Rica!Written 23 January 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Cahuita
- The best day trips from Cahuita according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Full-Day Tour to Cahuita National Park from Puerto Limon
- Puerto Limon Highlights 6 in 1 Combo Tour. Shore Excursion from Limon
- Sloths Lovers Tour. Puerto Limon Shore Excursion
- Chocolate Experience by Bribri Indigenous Culture
- The chocolate forest experience & Cahuita National Park
Cahuita Attractions Information
|Local Time||Friday 1:42 AM|