Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour
Support this operator:Times are tough for the travel community right now. To show your support, consider leaving a review or posting photos of tours and experiences you have taken. Your support will go a long way in helping tour operators worldwide get back on their feet down the road
View all photos (54)
Select Date and Travelers
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
The Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (Prison S21) and the Killing Fields of Choueng Ek are two of Phnom Penh’s most important historic sites, and essential for those wanting to learn the history of the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. On this self-guided tour, ensure a stress-free visit with hotel pickup and round-trip transportation to both sites, and free time to take in the moving memorials and exhibitions at your own pace.
- Self-guided tour: Take in the exhibitions in your own time
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Optional audio guides: Learn the history of the brutal Khmer Rouge regime
- Hassle-free round-trip transportation from your Phnom Penh hotel
What to Expect
After pickup from your hotel in central Phnom Penh in an air-conditioned bus, head to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. Along the way, listen to onboard audio commentary, which offers some background history and information about the museum, which was the former Security Prison 21 (S-21). On arrival, your tour attendant assists you in purchasing your tickets and you have free time to explore the museum on your own. Guided tours (depending on availability) and audio guides are also available. Meet back up with your driver and watch a documentary about the Killing Fields as you travel to the site to gain further insight into the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge. You also spend some time visiting the Choeung Ek Memorial (audio guides are available) before being taken back to your hotel. Please note: entrance fees, guided tours, and audio guides are at your own expense.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Recorded English commentary & documentary on-board
- English-speaking bus attendant
- Separate driver
- Free WiFi
- 1 x bottle of drinking water
- Entrance fees (at the moment Prison S21 entrance fees are $5, and $3 for under 18 with ID; Killing Fields $3, fees are subject to change by Cambodia Tourism Boaard)
- Audio Guides (Prison S21 $3, Killing Fields $3, Optional)
- Guide services (Prison S21 $2, Optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Call our local number or send us an email to confirm hotel pick up time and location. We provide 3 sets of phone number for contact: 016745880, 0962460530, 017232043
- The Killing Fields tour is a shared tour, please be on time for pickup
- This is not a guided tour
- Pick up times: Morning tour: pick up time starts from 8am. If your hotel is near riverfront, pick up time will be between 8am - 8:15am. If your hotel is a bit far away from riverside, pick up time will be between 8:15am - 9:00am. Afternoon tour: pick up time starts from 1:30pm, if your hotel is near riverfront, pick up time will be between 1:30pm - 1:45pm, if your hotel is a bit far away from riverside, pick up time will be between 1:45pm - 2:30pm
- Guide services run by Prison 21 are subject to availability
- Please wait near the reception desk for pick up and inform the receptionist. Please do not stay in your room as you may miss the pick up vehicle.
- Pick up might be delayed due to traffic condition and special events.
- Audio Tours: (Optional)
- S21 (Genocide Museum) Audio Tour: $3,
- available in 6 languages
- Our visit time assigned at the museum is from 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes depending on the traffic on the road. So you are suggested to take the highlight tour if you take the audio tour. Highlight Audio Tour is about 50 minutes. Please follow the numbers printed in RED on the tour map. Extensive Audio Tour is about 2 hours long and is not suitable for our group.
- Killing Fields Audio Tour: $3, available in 15 languages
- if you are very interested in the history of Khmer Rouge regime and really want to know more or study more about it, take a full day private tour instead
- We will do hotel pick up in downtown of Phnom Penh. Some hotels are not in our pick up zone due to traffic problem.
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please Note: Due to the bad traffic near Orussey Market, Olympic Market, guests who stay at Orussey One Hotel, Sim Boutique Hotel, V Hotel and other hotels in Kirirom area (G area on our map) will be advised to go to our meeting point G Mekong Hotel for pick up, it will be 5-10 minutes walk. (please use the map of Booking website to find the location)
- If you decide to take the audio tour at Prison S21, you are advised to take the short version (in red numbers on the museum guide map) of the Audio guide and start the tour straight away. Please watch the time when you take the audio guide as the short version is about 50 minutes and keep moving. If you stay at some interested points too long, you might have not enough time to finish the audio. Please do not take the long version which is about 2 hours. This half day tour is not designed to the long audio tour. If you really like to study Khmer Rouge and want to spend more time at museum, you are advised to take your own private tour. Besides taking the short version, you are advised to use in-house live guide service (depending on availability of guides)
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
Time of year
This is a very moving place but it is needed to remind us of the terrible things humans are capable of.
Date of experience: October 2019
As raw and confronting as this tour was, I'm glad I braved the horror. It is horror, and cut me to the core, it also made me feel like as a human being we can do better than this, we are here to look after one another not to hurt, control and kill in the name of power. The audio…
Bus arrived on time, was cool, told us the entry prices, when to be back, have us a water, played a documentary and took us back. Exactly as described. If you are in Phnomn Penh going to these places is a must even though it is harrowing. Just the right amount of time at each…
Date of experience: February 2020
Very sad tour This is a must do in Cambodia as this is are piece of history that everyone should do Good travel with good recorded commentary
The two main sites in Phnom Penh involving the Khmer Rouge genocide are the Killing Fields and Prison S21. They can be visited individually, either by taxi or various services, or together either with an organized tour or self-guided but with a drop-off/pick-up arrangement. …
Date of experience: August 2019
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Phnom Penh Hop on Hop off
Book with another operator
If you expect a tour guide who explains the history and provides context, don’t book with these guys. All you get i…
Good tour. Enjoyed it.
This tour covered the prison and a Killing Field. Documentary played on the screen in the bus in English was inform…
Great tour with friends
Knowledgeable guides and funny also ! We had a very happy day visiting Phnom penh with our friends.it is such a lov…
Nice bus. Very red. Sights were quite boring. Phnom Penh isn't that great. Nothing else to say. Thank you
Well Organized Trip
It was planned by the boy at hotel reception and allowed me to visit many places in short period of time. People in…
Convenient way to get to Killing Fields and Genocide Museum
If you have a short amount of time this bus trip will collect you from central hotels and drop you at the Genocide …
Very good deal.
Comfortable bus. Friendly personel. Saves you a lot of time for a reasonable price (but remember that it does NOT i…
Moving and informative...Totally worthwhile!
This inexpensive tour was very compelling, covering both the notorious prison and the largest of the killing fields…
Easy and convenient
We used this company to enable a visit to the Genocide Museum (or S21) and the killing fields (Choeung Ek). We had …
What about city bus?
I rather take city bus which no need to book in advance, one hop on cost only 1500 Khmer Riels ($0.38). You just ne…
Convenience way to visit Phnom Penh
We booked for the tour to the Tuel Sleng Museum and Cheoung Ek Killing Field. The bus came at the promised time to …
Great value trip!
We used this company for a morning tour of S21 prison and The Killing Fields. We were picked up on time from our ho…
No guide, no information, nothing but free water included, just an expensive bus-tour. Better to rent a tuk-tuk for…
Bus was full
I booked for the morning tour, recieved the confirmation email and another email saying the bus was on the way. I …
This is a review of hop on / off transport bus
Rather than the tour itself which was a 5 star experience , very moving & well worth doing for sure. We felt the bu…
- Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, 9 Preah Ang Duong St. (110), and 1 more
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+63 923-0990452
Travelers also viewed
Popular: Booked by 418 travelers!
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 1,919 travelers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour
Which attractions will I visit with Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour?
During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour on Tripadvisor
How much is Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour?
Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour price starts from US$15.39. Discover and book Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour on Tripadvisor
What is the Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour cancellation policy?
Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour cancellation policy: All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Discover and book Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour on Tripadvisor
Which company provides Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour?
Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour is hosted by Phnom Penh Hop on Hop off. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Phnom Penh Hop on Hop off on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Phnom Penh Hop On Hop Off - Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour on Tripadvisor