Glenorchy Lord of the Rings Off-Road 4X4 Adventure from Queenstown
Support this operator:Times are tough for the travel community right now. To show your support, consider leaving a review or posting photos of tours and experiences you have taken. Your support will go a long way in helping tour operators worldwide get back on their feet down the road
View all photos (43)
This product is unavailable to book via Tripadvisor. Contact the supplier for availability.
Recommended by 92% of travelers
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
The snow-crested mountains, glacial valleys, and lush countryside around Glenorchy were famously seen on-screen in the Lord of the Rings movies. On this tour, venture off-road in a 4x4 and discover the real-life landscapes of ‘Middle Earth’ including Lake Wakatipu and the Mount Aspiring National Park. Visit several LOTR filming sites, see traces of the region’s gold mining heritage, and enjoy a picnic lunch looking out over the lakes.
You'll start at
61A Shotover Street
Or, you can also get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Off Road 4X4 QueenstownStop: 5 minutes -See details
- 2GlenorchyStop: 2 hours -See details
You'll end at
61A Shotover Street
61A Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300, New ZealandClients happy to meet at our shop (61A Shotover Street) for the 8:15am or 1:15pm scheduled departures should simply write 'shop' in pick up location.
See address & details
- Visit LOTR film sites including ‘Isengard’ and the ‘Misty Mountains’
- Enjoy a picnic lunch looking out over the lakes and mountains
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure to suit your schedule
- Hassle-free pickup and drop-off from your Queenstown hotel
61A Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Returns to original departure point
- Small personalised tours to stunning locations
- Guaranteed individual forward facing window seats
- Free refreshments included
- Free pick up and drop off to your accommodation
- On-site IPad multimedia presentations
- Guides are knowledgeable friendly locals
- Confirmation: will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Suitability: For groups including children under the age of 6yrs old a private charter tour must be booked.
- Accommodation pick up service: Due to tour time constraints the outer limits for the pick up service we offer on our standard tours are from Mantra Marina 875 Frankton Road to 260 Fernhill Road and 159 Gorge Road. Any property outside of this Queenstown area unfortunately would not be applicable for pick up/drop off. As such we CANNOT pick up/drop off from The Hilton/ Kawarau Village, The Ramada, Frankton village, Millbrook, Arthurs Point (Top 10, Nugget Point), Arrowtown etc. unless a private charter is booked. Clients happy to meet at our shop (61A Shotover Street) for the 8:15am or 1:15pm scheduled departures should simply write 'shop' in pick up location. Accommodation pick up time: Clients should be ready for their accommodation pick up anytime between 8:20am & 8:30am on all morning departures and between 1:20pm and 1:30pm for all afternoon departures. These pick up times are approximate and will vary depending on other pick ups, traffic etc.
- We recommend: dressing to the weather conditions on the day and bringing a camera.
- Please be aware this scenic tour does not contain any significant off road driving (e.g. river crossings, hill climbs etc.)
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
Thanks guys we had a great time on this trip. Peter and Ryan we enjoyed the 4 hours ,plenty to see and you had great knowledge of the history in the area and plenty of information on the Lord of the rings and mission impossible movie scene . Thanks from Jes and Katrina
My wife and I had an amazing time today from a tour led by Pete. I am a huge LOTR fan, while my wife isn’t and she still had a great time. We saw the most incredible views and being able to see where the films were shot, made this an unforgettable experience for me. Pete was…
Date of experience: December 2019
While I am a Tolkien fan, my partner is not but we both thoroughly enjoyed seeing the many memorable movie scene sights. However, the natural wonders were equally matched by the friendly guide names Soap. Highly recommended.
Pete was an excellent guide, Pete's driving and knowledge was great and was a friendly character, highly recommended this tour even if you haven't seen the movies like us, our son enjoyed the off-road part and Pete was very good with him
Date of experience: October 2019
I'm a big LOTR fan and this tour was amazing! Got to see different locations not just from LOTR but other movies as well. My partner and I were lucky to get a private tour. Our tour guide Ross was great! So knowledgeable not just of the movie locations but local information as…
Date of experience: April 2019
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Off Road 4X4 Queenstown
Matt was our guide and he was terrific!! We saw all the LOTR sights plus so much more!!! Off Road is highly recom…
Highlight of our first visit to Queenstown trip - highly recommended !
First trip to Queenstown and we booked this trip with 2 x 9 year olds and one 12 year old (& 2 adults). We all rate…
SOLID DAY ON THE BUGGYS!
Thank you heaps Scott for a mean time out on the buggy’s! Me and Tuhoto-Ariki appreciate it a lot, your knowledge a…
Fantastic LOTR/Queenstown tour
What an amazing tour. Pete did a fantastic job driving, giving us great info, showing us gorgeous spots, sharing LO…
This tour was a great way to see the areas surrounding Queenstown, with an added bit of adrenaline, hearing both th…
This was a lovely experience!!!
We've been in 4 hours of lovely experience thank you Peter for the un forgettable views and fun,we recemend this a…
Excellent trip. Would recommend.
We went on a quad bike tour with Ryan and Greeny. We enjoyed the trip right from the start when in the van on the w…
We had a fantastic day with Matt. He was very knowledgeable on the area and we had fun going through the rivers in …
I wish we had gone quad biking earlier in our trip - would have gone again
I think this is really a fun experience for all levels and is something that you really should try at least once in…
An amazing experience
An amazing tour of the beautiful landscape, travelling through the windy roads and seeing the amazing views. A sp…
A great informative outing
We booked the trip at the last minute and was met in time by our guide Pete. We asked for a general informative tou…
You must know more about queenstown and I'm sure this one of the best ways. It's really amazing track road and be p…
Matt was terrific!
We had a great time with Matt showing us iconic filming locations for LOTR and scenic Queenstown. Driving off road …
Ross was great. Had an awesome time looking around and learning about the Queenstown area. 6 year old had a ball
Our driver Matt was fantastic! We did the LOTR tour and in addition to visiting filming sites, where Matt showed us…
- Duration: 4h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English, Chinese, Chinese
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+63 923-0990452
Popular: Booked by 1,421 travelers!
from $95.48* $136.40
Popular: Booked by 290 travelers!