Support this operator:Times are tough for the travel community right now. To show your support, consider leaving a review or posting photos of tours and experiences you have taken. Your support will go a long way in helping tour operators worldwide get back on their feet down the road
View all photos (23)
Recommended by 100% of travelers
Select Date and Travelers
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
StartSee Important Information for details
- 1The Volcano Van Private ToursStop: 9 hours -Discover Hawaii's most breathtaking natural sights on a small-group van tour that's brimming with towering volcanoes, lush rainforests, and magnificent coastlines. Experience the islands' many microclimates and environments during a tour that exposes you to a little bit of everything. After convenient pickup from your hotel, travel to the lush rainforests found in great abundance on the island's east side. Make your way to Hilo via Saddle Road, reaching an elevation of almost 6,800 feet (2,072 m). Along the way, pass through many of the microclimates that make the Big Island among the most exceptional places in the world. As you approach Hilo, glance inside a once-scorching conduit of molten rock from the Mauna Loa Volcano as your guide enlightens you to the significance of lava tubes to Hawaii's creation. After a quick trip into the nearby Kaumana Caves, check out Waianuenue, also known as Rainbow Falls. This stunning 80-foot (24-m) drop has beckoned generations of visitors to Hilo. After lunch at Hilo Sharks Coffee, visit the village of Pahoa and drive along the famous Red Road, which follows the Puna Coast on the southeast flank of Kilauea volcano. This beautiful stretch of paradise showcases some of the island's youngest and most scenic coastline. Lush rain forests give way to black cliffs, rocky coastlines, and crashing waves. Your journey along this road ends at Kalapana, a town that was mostly buried by lava in 1990. Next up is Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and the summit of Kilauea volcano. Gaze into Kilauea's vast summit caldera, formed 500 years ago. The drive takes you past pit craters, scorched earth, steaming ground, and lava flows old and new. Enjoy plenty of opportunity to stop, look around, and learn about what's going on both above and beneath the ground.Read more
- Hotel/Airport pickup and drop-off
- Bottled water
- Picnic lunch
- Transport by private vehicle
- Dinner (Guests are taken to a restaurant of their choice to purchase dinner for themselves)
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately. Conditions subject to change.
- Please bring along close-toed shoes.
- A maximum of 6 people per booking.
- A minimum of 2 people per shared and 1 per exclusive is required.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
In February we enjoyed two days of touring with The Volcano Van on the Big Island. Both the Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona and Heavenly Hamakua from Kona were great tours. Scott is an enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide who ensures his guests are comfortable and enjoying…
Date of experience: February 2020
Scott is a great host, and made the trip very personalized for our group of four. He checked in regularly with us to make sure we were happy, and was willing to adjust the day to suit our wishes. Scott is extremely knowledgable about the volcanos, and the island in general. …
Date of experience: December 2019
1 Helpful vote
This tour was amazing. We were a small group (4), so you are not wasting time waiting for everybody. We did a lot of things : coffee stop, turtle stop on black sand beach, volcano (the best ! stunning and really impressive), Rainbow falls, a quick tour through Hilo and much…
Date of experience: November 2019
My husband and I came to Hawaii for our vacation and we saw the great reviews for The Volcano Van tours. We can’t stress enough how much fun we had learning about Hawaii, it’s history and the volcanos. I would take this over a helicopter ride any day! Driving through The Big…
We had a comfortable ride, got to see a lot of volcanic deposits and learn a lot. Also got a sneak peak into Hilo and the Rainbow falls. Definitely recommend.
Date of experience: September 2019
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: The Volcano Van Private Tours
Scott was very knowledgeable and extremely personable. He seemed to know what interested us most & took us to some…
I would recommend this tour to everyone going to the Big Island for the first time. Scott was so knowledgeable and…
Scott was a friendly, knowledgeable and attentive guide on the trip from Kona to Hilo. Great stops on the way like …
Everything you wanted to know about volcanoes and more!
If you are on Hawai'i and came for the volcanoes, then you must take this tour with Scott. This man knows his "hot"…
A fun, fascinating tour!
Scott arrived at our hotel to pick up my wife and I on time in his van, accompanied by two others. This was an ide…
Best on the Big Island!!
What an incredible day with Scott!! The day absolutely flew by. Scott is a treasure-trove of knowledge about all th…
Scott was truly amazing during the tour from start to finish, from knowledge to conversation he genuinely cared abo…
Scott is fantastic!
Scott has THE BEST personality, is so kind and knows SO much about the island. Fantastic tour around the island!
Fantastic day !!!
Scott picked us up on time from our hotel. He was very friendly and accomodating. He took us around the island seei…
Volcano Van tour was excellent!
We had a great 9 hour day with Scott. He was fantastic and flexible with what we wanted to stop and see!
Great way to learn about the Big Island!
Scott is vey knowledgeable about the Island's history and different areas/climates. We asked a lot of questions but…
What a great day! Scott was amazing!! He’s VERY knowledgeable, very personable, and very funny! Our family, which i…
Volcano and New Flow Fields.
Scott is an amazing tour guide. Very fun and knowledgeable. We were able to see some epic geology and had a grea…
One jam packed fun day
We originally were not going to be able to take this tour as they were booked until after we would leave, but someo…
Great job Scott
My family took the Volcano Van around the Big Island. We saw waterfalls, volcano, ocean, jungle which is pretty co…
- Duration: 9–11 hours
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+63 923-0990452
Travelers also viewed
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 6,561 travelers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group
What time does Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group start?
Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group will start at 9:00 AM. Discover and book Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group on Tripadvisor
How much is Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group?
Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group price starts from US$174.36. Discover and book Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group on Tripadvisor
What is the Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group cancellation policy?
Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group on Tripadvisor
Which company provides Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group?
Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group is hosted by The Volcano Van Private Tours. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact The Volcano Van Private Tours on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Kilauea Summit to Shore from Kona: Small Group on Tripadvisor