Support this operator:Times are tough for the travel community right now. To show your support, consider leaving a review or posting photos of tours and experiences you have taken. Your support will go a long way in helping tour operators worldwide get back on their feet down the road
View all photos (261)
This product is unavailable to book via Tripadvisor. Contact the supplier for availability.
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
Trying to trek along the frozen Johnston Canyon without a guide could be tough in frigid temperatures with icy walkways. Opt to take this guided tour from Banff, and see wildlife, waterfalls, and, of course, a lot of ice. Plus, this tour provides round-trip transport, ice cleats, a hiking pole, a snack, and a hot cup of cocoa to make things super easy on you.
- A guide knows the Johnston Canyon Icewalk® and helps keep you safe
- All equipment—ice cleats and a hiking pole—is provided for convenience
- A snack and hot chocolate keeps you warm and energized
- Round-trip transport is included with this Johnston Canyon Icewalk® tour
What to Expect
After being picked up from your Banff accommodation, your guide takes you to Johnson's Canyon for the icewalk and gets you suited up with ice cleats and a hiking pole. During your hike, walk about 3.4 miles (5.5 kilometers) and the elevation gain is 443 feet (135 meters). Learn about the history and geology of the area, as you keep a lookout for wildlife, such as wolves, moose, elk, and coyotes. See the upper and lower waterfalls trapped in ice. Afterward, enjoy a snack and a cup of hot chocolate to warm up before getting dropped off back at the original pickup place in Banff.
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
- Optional gratuities
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- A moderate level of fitness is recommended to ensure that you enjoy the tour.
- Please note that this tour stays on the trail and does not traverse the ice due to safety concerns.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel at least 3 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
Time of year
This was an experience you’ll remember. Amazing winter scenery, and the final stage might just take your breathe away with the vista. It isn’t an easy walk, no matter what you may read, but it isn’t hard either, plenty of rest opportunities. I’d do it again.
Date of experience: March 2020
The Johnston Canyon Ice Walk Tour is highly recommended. It was picaresque, our guide, Rob, was very informative and we were able to take lots of photos. Absolutely beautiful!
Date of experience: March 2020
This was such an amazing tour! Our tour guide Nick was knowledgeable and really made it such a great experience for us.
Date of experience: February 2020
This was on our bucket list when in Banff to see our son whose working here & joined us for the tour. Well organised and hosted by our guide Neil whose relaxed pace of sharing information was awesome. Definitely worth doing & the maple syrup cookies and hot chocolate a great…
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Discover Banff Tours
Great tour and guide
We were the last group of tours for the season due to COVID. So there were only 6 people in our group, .all Canadia…
We went for a city tour and later to Lake Louise and Johnston Canyon with Jeenie from Discover Banff Tours. She was…
Beautiful and educational
Beautiful hike during a snowy, winter night. We didn't see any nightlife or stars since it was snowing, but that di…
Awesome Tour Guide
Thanks to Hugh for such a great trip up to Lake Louise yesterday for dog sledding and ice skating. He is super know…
Oh, the stars!
Very cold night so many layers of clothes. Tour company loaned snow boots, cleats, poles. Headlamps provided. D…
Johnson Canyon hike
Great well informed guide. Well equipped and took us about 4 hours to hike up and back. Easy to book. Friendly and …
off the beaten track
it was so enjoyable to be able to walk through pristine and soft snow amongst the trees on a beautiful day in snow …
I enjoyed this trek through the wilderness;...I am a city girl! Scott was very knowledgeable and guided our small …
A Perfect Way to See Banff and Lake Louise
We opted for a private tour, unsure of how my 65 year old father would fare, and I'm so glad we did. Jeff arrived …
A beautiful place to hike and take in the winter landscape. It’s not likely that you will see much wildlife because…
A great and interesting tour!
We just recently went on the Grotto Canyon Icewalk with the tour guide Tyler. We had a brilliant time, Tyler was …
The tour guides - Jeff and Nicole - were helpful, welcoming and very knowledgeable. They shared stories and local t…
Highlight of Banff - definitely recommend!
My partner and I partook in the afternoon snow shoe to Paint Potts with Anick, and both of us agree that this exper…
Panorama ski shuttle - so worth it!!!
I cannot remember our drivers name (sorry!) but we went on the 6th March, and we got there just for the lifts openi…
Great evening walk
Just returned from a snowy chilly evening tour with our great guide Neil. It was snowing all the time and the roads…
- Johnston Canyon
- Duration: 4h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+63 923-0990452