Support this operator:Times are tough for the travel community right now. To show your support, consider leaving a review or posting photos of tours and experiences you have taken. Your support will go a long way in helping tour operators worldwide get back on their feet down the road
View all photos (16)
Select Date and Travelers
Select tour language
Low Price Guarantee
The mangrove channels leading to Laguna Grande are best explored in a glass-bottom kayak, which lets you observe the bioluminescence at night. This guided tour of Las Cabezas de San Juan nature reserve includes an orientation and paddling instruction—no prior experience necessary. Marvel at the glowing light of microscopic plankton and learn all about this unique ecosystem.
You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Laguna GrandeStop: 3 hours - Admission includedJoin this fully-guided nighttime bioluminescent bay kayak adventure, one of the most memorable experiences in Puerto Rico. Experience the Pyrodinium Bahamense, a microscopic plankton capable of producing natural light at the touch of your hand (like fireflies)! Learn how this fragile and unique ecosystem maintains a perfect balance of life and learn what you can do to protect such a special place. You will paddle your way for 30 minutes each way in a two person glass-bottom kayak, through the mystical mangrove channels leading to the Natural Reserve at Laguna Grande (please read complete description for weight and other restrictions). Once you arrive to the area of the lagoon where the bioluminescence can be best experienced, our guides will explain how this entire ecosystem works and will allow you to play with the water to see this effect (swimming not allowed). Once tour has concluded light snacks will be available for participants to regain their energy, before heading back to San Juan.Read more
- Guided night kayak around Laguna Grande’s bioluminescent bay
- Paddle through the nature reserve by glass-bottom kayak
- Discover what you can do to protect the flora and fauna
- Includes pickup and drop-off in selected areas of San Juan
- Complimentary pickup and drop-off in selected areas of San Juan (Old San Juan, Condado and Isla Verde locations and touristic zones). Locations outside of San Juan are subject to additional pick up fee.
- Bottom glass kayaks (for participants weighting 190 lbs (86kg) or less)
- Participants weighting up to 250 pounds must notify it at the moment of booking as special arrangements for a regular kayaks needs to be made, these kayaks are very limited.
- Quality kayaking gear and equipment (small size for children)
- Kayaking orientation and instructions
- Commentary of the surrounding area and its flora and fauna
- Light Snacks and bottles of water
- Entry/Admission - Laguna Grande
- Additional pick up fee will apply if staying in towns like Dorado, Rio Grande, Fajardo and Humacao. Meeting point option also available.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: contact phone number or email, ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time. No refunds will be authorized due to failure to communicate correct information.
- Participants cannot be afraid of the dark as you will be kayaking thru pitch black areas.
- Not suitable for pregnant women past their third month, persons with recent surgeries, past injuries or back problems, heart complaints or other serious medical conditions.
- Each participant must be capable of paddling on their own on a 2 person kayak, and be able to sit on the same position for about 2 hours.
- You will get wet, it is recommended that you wear bathing suit underneath, bring a towel and extra clothes for after the tour.
- Maximum weight is 185-190 lbs (86 kg). Due to the strict weight restriction all participants are subject to be weighted prior to beginning the tour. No cancellations or refunds will be issued if a person neglects to inform correct weight, and is not able to participate of the tour.
- Participants weighting from 190 to 260 lbs must notify upon booking in order to reserve a regular kayak, these kayaks are very limited.
- This is a 2-person kayak tour. Single travelers that require regular kayak have a possibility of cancellation if there isn't another person to be paired with. As an alternative you can hire an additional employee for a fee of $100.00 to assist during the tour.
- Estimate duration time of tour includes one hour and 15 minutes approx. driving, each way.
- This tour does not includes a stop to eat.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- The bio bay is an unpredictable natural phenomenon that may be influenced by multiple factors. Bioluminoscity level can vary from very visible to minimum or none without any previous notice. Full Moon phase may also affect the visibility. In the event of this happening alternate methods such as the use of a tarp will be incorporated in order to appreciate it.
- GLASS BOTTOM KAYAKS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON TUESDAYS due to maintenance, instead tour will be conducted on Regular Kayaks. No refunds will be issued due to this.
- Please travel light and only bring the necessary to the tour. Leave behind electronic devices, any important documentation like passport, large sums of cash or credit cards. Cell phones require waterproof case. Bespoke Lifestyle Management will not be responsible for lost or stolen belongings. No luggage allowed on the buses.
- Reservations made for the 6pm tour (second run) have a probability of being rescheduled to the first run if minimum is not met, or first run still has spaces available.
- Minimum age to participate is 7 years.
- Please be ready and waiting in your hotel lobby 10 minutes prior to your scheduled pick up time. Bus will only wait 5 minutes per pick up stop.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
Long bus ride there. Glow from the organisms in the bay is tiny sparks of light and interesting to to see, but much less than what it is hyped up to be. Not worth 5-6 hours of your time in San Juan.
Date of experience: March 2020
The company was very timely and communicative with pick up. the tour guides during the tour also do a great job directing you and keeping you on path. They also bring out a tarp so you can see the glowing algae really well which was a nice touch. The kayaking is tough though,…
Date of experience: March 2020
To give this a detailed review could take pages, but I will keep this short. Overall, too much money for too little reward. The Bioluminesent experience which lasted at most 20 minutes, was underwhelming. The massive amount of companies doing tours in the bay area, the total…
Date of experience: February 2020
Response from Christine_Bespoke, Guest Relations Manager at Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan
Responded 4 Mar 2020
We are sorry to learn you had an unpleasant experience, and appreciate your gift of feedback. Most of the situations mentioned are factors outside of our reach. Taking this in consideration we will update the description so participants are fully aware on what to expect step by step during the course of it. Kind regards,
One thing to be careful of is that they don't pick up at all locations. We gave them the name of our Air BnB. They did not respond to confirm the location. When we were in Puerto Rico, I called company to confirm. Representative said she could not pick us up at our BnB,…
Date of experience: January 2020
1 Helpful vote
The tour guide was enthusiastic and fun. Kayaking through the channel and on the bay at sunset was beautiful. There was a half moon out, a few planets, and many stars, so the only way to see the bioluminescence was to drag tarps over our heads and splash deep in the water with…
Date of experience: February 2020
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Bespoke Lifestyle Management
What a day, what a place, what a guy!
We feel so grateful for this wonderful experience! We got to see nature in a way that we wouldn't have experienced…
1,000 times yes
I would recommend this tour not only for the tour it self but the people you are working with. Nicole, Érica, Jesse…
Wonderful experience, tour guides were the best. It was the highlight of our spring break trip to San Juan.
Did the 2 1/2 private hour private tour in a nice Mercedes van. Our tour guide (Francisco Tellado) was great. He wa…
Went an the El Yunque National Forest half day tour. It was very good. Was picked up on time. Francisco "Frankie" w…
Best memory made on our spring break
The guides were incredible and I would 100% recommend this tour! Moderate physical activity required. Younger age g…
Solo female traveler who had the best time. Staff was awesome, guides were super fun, they encourage you to let loo…
Best part of trip!
I highly recommend this tour. Unfortunately, due to coronavirus the second half was cancelled so we did not get to …
Must do trip!
This tour was intense but amazing! We got down and dirty hiking the trails and seeing all the sights. The waterfall…
Met Expectations / Entertaining Guide
We thoroughly enjoyed this fairly brief but eventful trip to El Yunque: you can climb the tower to enjoy an amazing…
An Amazing Day
First, they drive you out to a spot in the rainforest (there were quite a few other tours there but it seemed like …
This was a fun and immersive trek in the rainforest. We climbed up muddy slopes and through gorgeous vegetation to …
I’m not a rum fan but if you’re in Puerto Rico this is must do! While waiting for your tour you are given a token w…
Do not book this trip! Scam! Rip off!!
Bespoke is a total rip off!!! They sent a bus to pick us up over 30 mins early and didn’t even wait 10 minutes for …
I was a solo female traveler and this trip was fantastic and would do over again easily. Have to say you must be up…
- Duration: 5h 30m
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English, Spanish
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+63 923-0990452
Travelers also viewed
Popular: Booked by 1,732 travelers!
from $110.77* $138.47
Popular: Booked by 210 travelers!
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 9,866 travelers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan
Which attractions will I visit with Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan on Tripadvisor
How much is Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan price starts from US$110.26. Discover and book Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan on Tripadvisor
What is the Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan cancellation policy?
Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan on Tripadvisor
Which company provides Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan is hosted by Bespoke Lifestyle Management. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Bespoke Lifestyle Management on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan on Tripadvisor